Storm Bee

bayodome

It's looking like this might make a decent play bike, good for poking around in the woods, maybe even a good camping companion.

I think too many of us are looking at this machine with an eye for competition, and using the Alta as a benchmark that it will never meet.

I agree with you, although as I understand it, the Storm Bee will have some more standard parts than the Alta, so there could be an option to upgrade power, DIY-style. Of course I know nothing about batteries and I just read that in Electrek, I think.

As is, it could be a fun bike. 30hp is about the power output of a 125cc two-stroke but the Storm will have a helluva lot more torque, so it could still have plenty of power to hit most obstacles.

teddyquinn

Some chatter on the Surron FB group suggesting a rep at EICMA shared KYB as suspension of choice and a ~$7k price point. Also some details about light bee 2.0

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 12.08.27 PM.png

F451

I agree with you, although as I understand it, the Storm Bee will have some more standard parts than the Alta, so there could be an option to upgrade power, DIY-style. Of course I know nothing about batteries and I just read that in Electrek, I think.

As is, it could be a fun bike. 30hp is about the power output of a 125cc two-stroke but the Storm will have a helluva lot more torque, so it could still have plenty of power to hit most obstacles.

I agree. I rode 125 2 strokes for years and they are blast in the woods and on the track, the only downside was lack of low end torque. Electric motor takes care of that issue.

Peak horsepower ratings can be very misleading as peak HP is rarely used by most riders, especially when trail riding. The logic of this was explained to me when a moto buddy was talking me out of an expensive 4 stroke exhaust system, he explained you'll benefit the most from it at full throttle, and the least at off idle and low end running. He asked me how often I was at full throttle on the trails? Almost never. Case closed.

Same reason people can taco the hell out of their 2 stroke pipes and bike seems to run fine. The restriction of the taco'ed pipe only comes into play at 3/4 - full throttle situations.

I'm more interested in range, weight, quick change battery, and cost when evaluating e-dirt bikes. Of course performance matters, but peak HP is not the end all for me.

F451

Some chatter on the Surron FB group suggesting a rep at EICMA shared KYB as suspension of choice and a ~$7k price point. Also some details about light bee 2.0

View attachment 4120

Well that certainly sounds encouraging. KYB forks? Sign me up!

$7k price sounds great too.

Can't wait for people to get their hands on these things and start reporting back to all of us.

teddyquinn

Well that certainly sounds encouraging. KYB forks? Sign me up!

$7k price sounds great too.

Can't wait for people to get their hands on these things and start reporting back to all of us.

Of course, unconfirmed chatter, but would be nice if true. High quality components for wheels, suspension, brakes, etc., help to assuage overall quality concerns. However, Sur Ron definitely isn’t the same build quality as the big OEMs - tapered, needle bearings for steering stem is an oft-performed aftermarket upgrade (how could this possibly not be stock?!).

bayodome

Boost button? No thanks. Just give me all of the power all the time. I don't want to hold down an extra button just to get over a jump, that's what twisting the throttle to the stops and a clutch (if it had one) are supposed to accomplish.

I saw that "TURBO" trigger on the left hand instrument cluster and hoped that it wasn't literal. Sounds like it is though. Perhaps someone much smarter than me will figure out a workaround.

ElectricMoto

Guys, I were at EICMA and checked the bike out and spoke to one of the main SurRon guys.
Positive, the bike has a decent CG ( did the simple test of standing on the side and pushing it hard from side to side like flicking in between corners) and it was pretty good. It is quite tall in the front-end especially compared to the seat.
been Designing /Responsible for a Dirt Bike making company and been at Fast-Ace ( TW), Chinese and most European Suspension Manufacturers. There is a massive difference between Chinese KYB / Showa and Japanese, so don't expect that there is a huge difference between FastAce and Chinese KYB / Showa

bayodome

I like that they are promoting motocross and jumping. If the bike can jump and land well, then it will do well everywhere else too.

Looks like we got ourselves a 125cc 2-stroke or maybe even a 250cc 4-stroke equivalent in this Storm Bee.

That's a really good way of looking at it! If the bike can handle the rigors of motocross, then it should be able to handle most other challenges. There's a reason why most off-road bike designs are based off of with MX platforms.