Storm Bee

Guys, once more I stress the Storm Bee, cannot in build quality and component choice be comparable to the big 5 or an Alta.
Worked + 10 years in Dirt Bike manufacturing and scrutinized this bike in the flesh at EICMA Milano ( my photos in an earlier post)
My tip buy a used Alta and you know what you get, with the good and bad.

View attachment 4766
Your insights are definitely helpful and worth considering, but I think the enthusiasm for e-motos right now far exceeds the interest in build quality. You're right, the current versions of the Storm Bee prototype do not look ready for, say, AMA professional competition. But most people interested in bikes of this variety at the moment, have little to no interest in racing, and are mostly novice or intermediate level riders. They just want a fun bike to ride. Few will push the boundaries of what they're capable of.

Componentry and build-quality-wise, again, I can't dispute your claim. It's not to the Big OEM standards, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for someone to enjoy the machine safely. If no one gave e-bikes from China a try, then there basically wouldn't be an e-bike market at all. They currently provide the vast majority of completed machines and components for the sector and I like that Chinese manufacturers and others are trying to push the boundaries to see where the interest lies. The Big 5 approach (stalling for time because ICE machines are still the big seller) is simply too slow for some. Keep up or get left in the dust.

I would almost agree with you, except for the fact that the vast majority of electric vehicles coming out of china are designed for and ridden on the streets. I'm not a very adventurous or hard riding off-roader, but I've had some bad spills and bikes meant for off-road terrain need a different level of build than almost anything else out there. I'm sure some people will have fun with these for a while, young kids sure, but eventually you will find the Alta's still running and Storm Bee owners trying to get some kind of replacement, be it motor, battery or other broken bits. I feel that if you use something often enough you will ALWAYS find yourself upgrading from the Chinese version to a better made one. If you don't ride much, or only ride fire roads you're probably fine. It will surely fit some peoples riding habits that is for sure.

ElectricMoto

mostly novice or intermediate level riders. They just want a fun bike to ride. Few will push the boundaries of what they're capable of.

Componentry and build-quality-wise, again, I can't dispute your claim. It's not to the Big OEM standards, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for someone to enjoy the machine safely. t.
When I talk about quality it's not necessary Race components I talk about but general quality, how components are engineered, designed and manufactured and if they will last longer than a few hours. I'm not trashing Sur-Ron I like the company and the first models have proven to be pretty reliable to my knowledge, however when you want +$8000.- for your product engineering, design, functionality, quality, reliability choice should match the cost.
there are too many things that in my book is something that is from an enginering stand-point "thrown together" just take a look at my photos and you for example see a lot of exposed electrical wire, how do you think that they will act when riding in mud, how to you get them clean... with a Power-Washer. As a Off-Road (Electric) Motorcycle designer what I did see at EICMA in Milano was good enough for a Prototype but far from an acceptable serial production level, but that is my personal opinion nothing more