Storm Bee

F451

Don't get me wrong, I love my Alta, and plan to ride it to death.

That said, it will never get any better, and there will never be any more of them, so someone somewhere needs to make the next generation. While the Bee bikes may not be superior to the Alta, it still needs to be proven that there is a market for high power, competition grade dirt bikes to convince the MFG management to make the investment in developing something as good or better than the Alta.

And by showing interest in the Bee bikes, and all the other newcomers, we help the next generation of cool electric dirt bikes.

Well said RW, my feelings exactly. And we may all be pleasantly surprised if the Storm Bee is actually pretty decent and worth considering for purchase. Or it won't. Either way its a win that they're producing it at all IMO.

ElectricMoto

Would be interested to hear what you guys see in those pictures.
As a Dirt bike guy sometimes (in need to) ride in mud seeing all those holes /cavities and exposed wires behind the front wheel, and the motor look to have some cooling fins...a problem to get clean

metallic88

Don't get me wrong, I love my Alta, and plan to ride it to death.

That said, it will never get any better, and there will never be any more of them, so someone somewhere needs to make the next generation. While the Bee bikes may not be superior to the Alta, it still needs to be proven that there is a market for high power, competition grade dirt bikes to convince the MFG management to make the investment in developing something as good or better than the Alta.

And by showing interest in the Bee bikes, and all the other newcomers, we help the next generation of cool electric dirt bikes.

true, but im waiting for a kx or cr quality one thats the only way I'll buy a non alta, but that just me.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
There is a speedo ring on the rear wheel. I am not seeing anything on the front, although there is a brake hose and apparently a wire going to the front hub. Some press release stated that this bike will have an ABS. If true, that would be a first on such a small bike.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
true, but im waiting for a kx or cr quality one thats the only way I'll buy a non alta, but that just me.
Great, but the makers of the kx and cr will need to be convinced there is a market and demand before they will commit to development and production. That's where the Bee bikes and such have their place, showing that there is a market.

metallic88

Great, but the makers of the kx and cr will need to be convinced there is a market and demand before they will commit to development and production. That's where the Bee bikes and such have their place, showing that there is a market.
I didn't say there wasn't a place for them(I'm curious to see how they perform, i want to see a review), I think theyre great for the people that trail ride, they just aren't for me. (even the mx was underpowered for my riding style). I even like the freeride e for its 125ish style, but Its also not for me. I like all the ebikes that actually look like and act like a real dirt bike.

ElectricMoto

There is a speedo ring on the rear wheel. I am not seeing anything on the front, although there is a brake hose and apparently a wire going to the front hub. Some press release stated that this bike will have an ABS. If true, that would be a first on such a small bike.
Yes, there is ( simple) ABS the bike if I remember correctly ( but as a Dirt Biker it is shit you remove , only for homologation purposes IMO) I'll post the Specs they displayed as well

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there is ( simple) ABS the bike if I remember correctly ( but as a Dirt Biker it is shit you remove , only for homologation purposes IMO) I'll post the Specs they displayed as well
I actually liked the ABS on my KTM 1190R. It saved my ass (from a road rash) more than once. And it made steep technical downhills a lot more smooth and relaxing. It does mess up your braking and extend the stopping distances on gravel and in sand though. And you definitely do not want it for racing.

ElectricMoto

I actually liked the ABS on my KTM 1190R. It saved my ass (from a road rash) more than once. And it made steep technical downhills a lot more smooth and relaxing. It does mess up your braking and extend the stopping distances on gravel and in sand though. And you definitely do not want it for racing.
Yes, I have also liked it on a MASSIVE BMW GS 1200, but on a light bike like a motocross bike it's does not really make sense

bayodome

Low voltage pack and air cooled motor makes me think it won't cut the cheese.
Let's see...

Yeah, I'm curious about the air-cooling. Will that effect battery-life? Do air-cooled batteries shut down if they get too hot? MX tracks don't provide a whole lot of speed to generate proper forced air...I wouldn't think.

Judaslefourbe

My experience is with the Zero DS that had (still has?) an air-cooled motor: someone had showed up at a supermoto race with one and had to drill holes in the motor cover to increase airflow and avoid overheating.
As for your other question: nowadays pretty much all EVs have safety(ies) designed it to avoid damaging itself from heat.

bayodome

Last week I messaged with the Alibaba seller (and I believe manufacturer), Jiesute, about the Storm Bee. They said they will begin selling the bike in March. Of course, their Alibaba page says it's available now, but time is relative I guess. Just FYI.

F451

I'm not planning on purchasing a Storm Bee, but I am curious if Luna Cycle will be selling them. Luna has been really good about supporting the Sur Ron's, would be good if they did the same with the Storm Bee. I like the fact that they are a brick and mortar retailer that you could go to if you had any issues vs an online retailer that may or may not take care of you after the fact.

Johnny Depp

Something weird going on with the specs of the Storm Bee. The prototype showed linkage and 48mm forks and a full alloy frame. Now if you go to the site and scroll down, you see 43mm WP Xplor, WP rear shock with a PDS no link setup, a combo steel and alloy frame, it looks like a Freeride clone now.

Chinese Sur Ron 22.5 Kw Boom Bee Electric Sports Bike Dirt Bikes For Adults - Buy Electric Dirt Bikes For Adults,Chinese Electric Bike,Sports Bike Product on Alibaba.com

Check out these Freeride photos, it's a total knock off. The air just went out of the balloon.
2019 ktm freeride exc??