Stock Triple Clamp Woes

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Are any of you experiencing "creaking" noises in your triple clamps when the forks compress? Mine creek pretty badly, even with all bolts properly torqued. Took everything apart and noticed no wear or issues. The steering stem bearing looks fine and the forks actuate fine without creaking noises when off the bike.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I get some creaking sounds from mine when mounting or dismounting, while holding the front break. I had assumed the noise was from the front rotor or pads, but have been able to visually locate any obvious source.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
My son’s bicycle and Sur-ron both did that when the steering stem headset was loose. Had to tighten it up. If you put it on the stand with the front tire off the ground, is there any freeplay in the bars? Not really sure if that applies to the alta or not. But it sounds like what we had on the smaller bikes.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Are any of you experiencing "creaking" noises in your triple clamps when the forks compress? Mine creek pretty badly, even with all bolts properly torqued. Took everything apart and noticed no wear or issues. The steering stem bearing looks fine and the forks actuate fine without creaking noises when off the bike.

Were the bolts torqued to the stock settings or the "correct" settings which never got fully released out? Also this is a silly question was the hardware ever replaced?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
My son’s bicycle and Sur-ron both did that when the steering stem headset was loose. Had to tighten it up. If you put it on the stand with the front tire off the ground, is there any freeplay in the bars? Not really sure if that applies to the alta or not. But it sounds like what we had on the smaller bikes.

I run the steering stem nut on all my bikes on the tight side of tight. With the bike on the stand and the rear wheel touching the ground, the bars won't flop over to one side.

Fourth_Floor

I run the steering stem nut on all my bikes on the tight side of tight. With the bike on the stand and the rear wheel touching the ground, the bars won't flop over to one side.

If you take some of the torque off of your steering stem nut, is it still noisy? Not sure how tight you are running yours but I tightened mine up about as tight as I felt comfortable with without putting excess pressure on the bearing and can still flop my bars side to side relatively easily.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
This is the torque process for the Steering Stem Nut. (Should also be in the Owners Manual too)

Torque Steering Stem Nut - 30Nm
Then loosen and re-torque to 25Nm
Install and Torque Steering Stem Pinch Bolt to 10Nm
Then final torque to Steering Stem Nut (25Nm)

Ross Shafer

just oiling my chain to get ready for a little moto action on a neighbor's track and remembered to check the damn creaking from the front end area. Found that the steerer clamp on the top clamp was not tight...not even snug. Tightened it up, checked the fork for free play or binding (none) and voila no creak! We'll see if that holds true after banging around on it for a while today.

burm_buster

Just this last weekend after only 12hr on my bike I noticed "creaking" as well. After inspection I realized that had lost a bolt out of the bottom clamp and another was only a thread or two in. I have noticed people mentioning their distaste for the OEM triple clamp and I could not figure out why....

Anyone know where I could get a replacement bolt that resembles the stock one?

Hey @Rashid510 what torque spec are you using for "correct" as opposed to the ones mentioned in the manual?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Just this last weekend after only 12hr on my bike I noticed "creaking" as well. After inspection I realized that had lost a bolt out of the bottom clamp and another was only a thread or two in. I have noticed people mentioning their distaste for the OEM triple clamp and I could not figure out why....

Hey @Rashid510 what torque spec are you using for "correct" as opposed to the ones mentioned in the manual?

14Nm has been in the manual/updated WIs.

The bolt for the forks is here: M8 Euro Style Bolts.
(Keep in mind the hardware for the forks were "lubricated" so that they did not need thread-locker

Silent But Dirty

Alta North

Seems like a good place to post this again. I can't emphasize checking tourqe before every ride enough.

DSC_0430.JPG

F451

If it hasn't already been mentioned, KTM triples work nicely, bolt right into the Alta headstock. Requires the matching KTM axle and front wheel. Changes the offset 1 degree if I recall correctly.

367CE5BD-3CE9-4D26-8A71-A611999901E5-M.jpg

F451

What year KTM triples?

I used '14 KTM 500 triples. I believe other KTM years/models will work.

More info from my conversion detailed here: 2018 MXR Mods

The parts involved in my KTM triple clamp swap are all '14 KTM 500 EXC parts:
  • KTM triple clamps (including stem). - 20 mm offset (Alta stock is 22 mm, can be set to 18 mm).
  • KTM front wheel (hub is the difference).
  • KTM front axle.
  • KTM spacers.
  • KTM front fender.
  • Longer steering stop bolts (3 cm)
  • KTM headlight plastics or number plate. (I'm using a leftover '16 Beta headlight shroad for the moment).