Squirrelly SM

ablock

My main bike is an Africa Twin. I run Conti Trail Attack 2s front and rear and I virtually never feel any loss of traction on the road, whether I'm running on clean asphalt, tar snakes, or street paint — even when it's damp.

By contrast, the SM seems much more squirrelly. I can easily feel sideways rear tire movement when cornering over small drain covers or tar snakes.

The SM is the only MX-style bike I've ever owned, so I don't have much insight into the difference in perceived traction. Could it be the weight (the Alta is just about 1/2 the weight of the Honda), the weight distribution, the tires (the SM wheels are 1" smaller and the tire profile is 10mm lower, though the width is the same as the Honda tire), the geometry, the suspension (Ohlins/Andreani on the AT, set up plush), or something else?

Thanks!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Alta is a much lighter bike, and there is almost no stabilizing effect of the flywheel. The only solution to increase the cornering stability is to powerslide! :cool:

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Lots of variables - I’d check tire pressures & suspension sag/setup first off to dial in your desired results

Top Bottom