Sprint enduro

thsm007

I raced my EX Sunday in an AMA sprint enduro. It lasted 31 miles and had a little left. Maybe 3 miles? I DNF’d because I had about 9 miles of loop to go. The race said my A/B loop would be ~30 miles so figured I’d be close and would have made it if the posted mileage had been accurate.

A few quick questions:

How much power can you get using a generator and standard charger for 15 min charge? What if it’s the upgraded rapid charger?

I was in Map 1 to conserve power. I did notice on straight single track when I wanted to be wide open my wrist was bent down in a very awkward position. Not that big of a deal on a straight but when I wanted to shoot up a long steep hill it was hard to keep that wrist position and body position needed to achieve the hill. I had tilted the throttle body position as far backward as I could before the wire was in the way to try to counter this but it was of marginal impact. Does this mean I should be in a higher map? Is there a throttle tube or something guys are using? Is this solved with different gearing?

If I was racing the C class the bike would have finished easily. My times on the bike smoked other guys in my class. High B for sure had I finished. Very low fatigue helped. Lots and lots of questions about the bike. I’ll post pics from the event later.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Does this mean I should be in a higher map? Is there a throttle tube or something guys are using? Is this solved with different gearing?
The goon-style throttle twisting can be fixed with a 14/53 or 12/45 gearing and using Map 4. That is until Alta allows us to create our own maps.

Scott

A 15 minute charge at 240v on the standard charger should fill the battery up about 12.5%. 240v*12a = 2880watts/hour. 2880watts/(60mins/15mins) = 720 watts per 15 minutes of charge. Looks like you were getting about 5.3 miles per 1000 watts so 5.3*.720kw = about 3.8 miles for a 15 minute charge. I think the math is correct, anyone see any calculation errors?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I like your 5.3mpkW metric! It's almost like mpg.

Looks good. The Rapid charger can charge with 16A, so it should add 33% more juice and range in the same 15 minutes. That is if the battery is not too hot and can accept 12A or 16A. Else, neither charger will add much.

thsm007

I had changed the rear to a 110/100 - 18 MT16 .. a solid rubber for Northeast racing. I typically run 120/100 on my gas bikes. Not enough room in the swing arm for that so bumped down. I also installed a bead lock in front and back. For all my griping about it not having one, at least the rim has a plugged hole ready to take the lock so not that big of a deal i guess.

Tire hooked up awesome. Ran 13 psi in the rear. Ground was tacky in some areas, sandy in others. Not sure if it was tire or conditions or what but experienced virtually zero rear wheel traction braking loose issues even when hauling the ice in 2nd.

WoodsWeapon

I have 2 thoughts: the battery display is an estimate, and I believe a conservative estimate at that. Id have tried the remaining test if I knew some of the club members and could be assured of their help retrieving if needed.
I believe the 15 minutes would have certainly put you within a safe worry free range. Especially in map 1. When you say “hauling the ice in 2nd” are you saying 2nd place or map 2?
This weekend I’ll be racing 2 days. A GP on Saturday of 2 20-30 minute motos, which the bike can easily make. And a hare scramble on sunday of 1.5 hours by the leader. The best Ive gotten out of my MX was 1 hour and 23 and walked out of the woods. This will be my first attempt at it on the EXR. Its gonna be close.

thsm007

Ah I meant map 2. I was going back and forth until I got to about half way then was strictly map 1.

I’m tempted to try again. Tho I can say it’s frustrating as can be to dnf.

thsm007

Yeah the tow sucks. So wld a push out in this terrain.

Also for what it’s worth, I ran MT16 13 psi w rim lock and not once did I feel the rear break loose. 110/100-18 aspect ratio. Tight fit.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
Very interesting because I struggle with wheel spin badly. Ive even dropped to 8-9 psi at times.

I know Alta has to balance how aggressive their wheel spin software control is, but it seems like a bit more tweaking could limit some of the wheel spin while still allowing power slides etc. I imagine that would be a great candidate for user adjustment.

thsm007

Agreed. Idk why I had no wheel spin this weekend but I nearly always have it trail riding. The only change I made was tires. The ground was very tacky (think 2 days post good rain)