Someone in Europe, who has a ALTA SM? Chargingissue!

wwmotors

Hello Alta Owners, is there someone, who runs a SM in Europe? My questions are the following:
Due to the fact, that all additional chargers run on 110 and 240 VAC, does the SM also charge on 240 VAC with the onboardcharger?
If not, I have to use an inverter, what is pretty unpracticable! Slow charging and a heavy part more in the house.
Is it possible, to rebuild the SM technically like an EX and charge it with the standard charger?
Does some one of You provide a standard charging plug for the rebuild, just in case, that will work?
If this is technically possible: How can I upload the EX software, so that the electronic will deal with the changed components?
A lot of questions. Thanks for Your help!
Cheers
WW

datadog

I believe with the last/latest firmware 240v charging is enabled on an SM,

Correct. If it is not the latest firmware, you will need to set up a PC to upload it.

Changing the bike to off board charging is probably not possible as it would require a wiring harness, DCCP, charge port, and other parts. These are possibly available, I'm not sure. It would also require that the ACM be altered to tell the bike that is an EX or MX so it will accept the charger. When we had service and engineering staff, that was possible, but now it is highly unlikely.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I thought MultiTool allows to load any firmware to any component, one at a time. So it the component is available and wired properly then it can be configured. Or the bike can be renamed into an EX and it will then load the EX firmware. The JSON file says which VIN is which bike.

wwmotors

I believe with the last/latest firmware 240v charging is enabled on an SM,
Wow, thanks for YOur help! Does someone know the latest firmware version of the SM, where 240 V is possible? My ALTA Laptop always tells me, that it cannot downlaod firmware because of cloudproblems. Does someone know, how to change serversettings in mulittool? I think, it tries to connect to a server before ALTA closed the doors!

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Wow, thanks for YOur help! Does someone know the latest firmware version of the SM, where 240 V is possible? My ALTA Laptop always tells me, that it cannot downlaod firmware because of cloudproblems. Does someone know, how to change serversettings in mulittool? I think, it tries to connect to a server before ALTA closed the doors!

The FW update for 240V was in SM Release 1.1, regardless of server it should be able to detect the bike update. What version of MT do you have?

SM 1.1 (2/22/18)
- display warning for battery cell imbalance
- improve battery fatal state reporting
- improve inverter handling of failed/intermitent temperature sensors and display warning
- warning for 9v starter battery near end of life
- use ACM drive-time hourmeter instead of BCU drive-time hourmeter
- 240 VAC software support for OBC
- minor bug fixes

wwmotors

I have now on the Supermoto the following software: Redshift_SM_1_3_1_RC1
My Version of the ALTA MT is the 3.36.22.D
So when I check with the list provided in another thread, my SM should be ready for 240VAC charging, right?
So I will build a cable with a US plug on the bikeside and a Europe 240V plug on the other side and hope, not to see smoke coming out of the onboardcharger! :)

SM 1.3.1 (7/27/18)
- support for additional 65-degree throttles

SM 1.3 (7/27/18)
- control 12V loads correctly during short-circuit events
- improved isolation test logic
- resolve isolation failures to inside/outside of charger
- display warning for high humidity within battery
- support for metric units
- new/improved self-diagnostics
- minor bug fixes

SM 1.2 (7/27/18)
- support for MY2018R battery
- motor control and efficiency improvements
- optimize recharge and balancing cutoff voltages
- improve battery imbalance check logic
- speed up power-on and shut-down sequences
- improve thermal power limiting telltale logic
- decrease highbeam (blue) telltale brightness
- display warning for battery and module imbalance
- display warning when vehicle type is unknown/not configured
- new/improved self-diagnostics
- minor bug fixes

SM 1.1 (2/22/18)
- display warning for battery cell imbalance
- improve battery fatal state reporting
- improve inverter handling of failed/intermitent temperature sensors and display warning
- warning for 9v starter battery near end of life
- use ACM drive-time hourmeter instead of BCU drive-time hourmeter
- 240 VAC software support for OBC
- minor bug fixes

wwmotors

Hi folks. We where happy too early! Now i built a cable from German 240V to the ALTA SM plug. Now the software starts for a second and then it says:
"AC voltage out of range!" Some ideas, to solve that problem? It should be able to charge with 240Volt, the list above said. But it does not start! Then i tested different voltages from 221 VAC to 242 VAC. (I charged another bike so that the voltage went down in that circuit and tested from time to time. ). i even performed an update, but no changes. Always the same result! Some ideas?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Hi folks. We where happy too early! Now i built a cable from German 240V to the ALTA SM plug. Now the software starts for a second and then it says:
"AC voltage out of range!" Some ideas, to solve that problem? It should be able to charge with 240Volt, the list above said. But it does not start! Then i tested different voltages from 221 VAC to 242 VAC. (I charged another bike so that the voltage went down in that circuit and tested from time to time. ). i even performed an update, but no changes. Always the same result! Some ideas?

How is your 240V to 110V connector wired?

wwmotors

See JPEG for wiring. I checked also + and - the other way round. Gnd is oblogatory, because display complains immediately, if ground is not properly connected. So the wiring should be OK! Does someone know the programmed Voltage limits? Due to the fact, that the diyplay only tells me "Voltage AC out of range", I do not know wether it is too high or too low! On all of my offboardchargers, i did the wiring also that way and they are all working properly!

LadebuchseSM.jpg

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Ah...this is what I thought you had for the 240V side...which is what we used in the US. Theres a few links on the forum about the wiring of said connector.

1563862580395.png

wwmotors

The wiring should be OK. Otherwise the errorcodes on the display would be different. I think, the software does not support 240VAC or the programmed voltagerange is slightly different, than the actual range of our powernet. I think, i can only try with an inverter and check wether 110VAC is working!? But this is frustrating, because i cannot take an inverter with 8kg with me, when I have to charge somewhere else than at home. A cable would be no problem.

wwmotors

Update on this issue: Today i got the inverter and all US cables and I tested now with 110Volt (to be exact 118 Volt came out of the inverter). Now the SM is charging since 1 hour as it should. So I think, , that in this SM bike, charging with 240 Volt is not enabled for some reason. Is here someone, who tried charging with the onboardcharger with more than 120 Volt?

Silenthorse

Hi WWmotors,
I’m having problems with my SM in the US constantly having a ground fault stating “ AC ground not detected”. Does anybody on the forums have any idea how to remedy this problem? I bought the bike used with 400 miles approximately and it would intermittently have this issue. Now at 800 miles it is unable to charge and the battery is critically low. Anybody please help!