Snowbike build...?

Jon

So I can't get the idea of an Alta (EX) Snowbike out of my head. Seems like a great application... no clutch to worry about and plenty of torque to spin the track. Range would be super low, but you could throw a 1000-2000W generator on the back of the tunnel (or a giant DIY stack of 18650s... I hear there may be some extras floating around lol) and just recharge while you take a break. Plus the swing arm is pretty much a KTM, so fit-up should be easy. Not sure how the cold would affect the batteries... might need to turn down the coolant circulation.

Anyone else seen this? Am I crazy? Regardless, I'll keep everyone in the loop if I dive in.

Jon

Nice! Great to see that it physically works. Temperature control seems to be the name of the game. I'm sure a secondary controller for the coolant motor and some heating coils run off the charging source would solve the charge controller issues :)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It's the batteries that you may need to keep warm, not the controller. The batteries do not have any cooling going to them. You'd need an electric heat blanket instead. Or do not stop with a low battery for too long.

snydes

Staff member
The potential for loading up the sled with additional batteries would really make an Alta snowbike much more practical if it could be done.

privateer703

AOF Addict
It's the batteries that you may need to keep warm, not the controller. The batteries do not have any cooling going to them. You'd need an electric heat blanket instead. Or do not stop with a low battery for too long.
I thought the coolant was specifically for the batteries, that's not the case?

privateer703

AOF Addict
So what's being cooled again? I was under the impression these batteries heated up something fierce during heavy discharge. Forgot how to to spell ASSUME.

Jon

Just snooped around in the user manual... looks like it is just the controller and motor. Gotta say, that is a little disappointing. I'm sure it is to save weight, but liquid cooled battery packs have significantly more performance potential than air cooled ones. See Tesla (or any other performance EV) vs Nissan Leaf.

No matter, restive heaters on the batteries/housing it is!

bluefxstc

Doubt you have to worry about battery heaters. Batteries will discharge down to -25C so about -12F, and they generate heat when discharging. The problem with cold is charging, but you would probably generate enough heat during a full discharge cycle to be ok on charging and the software will keep you from charging if the batteries are below 0C. The real problem is regen in sub 0C temps, but with a sled I doubt there is much of that. If you want it, I would go without batteries heaters initially and if you find you need them, you can figure that out. Don't try and fix a problem that may not exist.

bsatt69

I am skeptical if it would work very well as a snow bike. I have a timbersled that I put on a 2017 350 xc-f. A 450 would be better but the 350 isn't bad. In comparing the power of the 350 to the MXR on the dirt the 350 will pull harder when you are in the rpm sweet spot revving the snot out of it, but the MXR pulls better averaged across the rpm range of the 350. When riding the timbersled you are always full throttle revving the snot out of it shifting to keep it in the sweet spot. My guess would be 10-15 minutes of run time. Then waiting an hour and a half for recharge. From my track riding I have figured that a battery charge is about equivalent to half gallon of gas. I really wish the battery had more run time, but even more so I wish the charge time was only 45 minutes.

Jon

From purely an energy perspective, the 5.8 kWh battery holds the equivalent of 22oz of gas (assuming 33.4 kWh per gallon). But that just speaks to the efficiency of the motor, not the real world comparison of fuel consumption. I get about 40 miles out of the 2 gal tank on my yz125, so 1 gallon doesn't seem too far off... or a 1/2 gallon for a more efficient modern 4 stroke.

Either way, riding an E-snowbike like a normal sled or snowbike seems like a bad idea. The track functions more like a pump than a tire, spinning the track 2 or 3 times per track-length traveled. That being said, the massive torque and low end delivery of the electric motor may allow more of a 1-1 track spin... at least on trails. Power may still be a lost cause until you just stuff the tunnel full of batteries. Might see if I can ask the team at Taiga what they have seen.

Sumik

I converted my Alta MX into a snow bike for the winter season. You can watch a short video on https://youtu.be/Ai0nMJSZy8E There are no problems with charging if you do it immediately after riding as the battery is warm enough. When starting the ride, it takes about 3 minutes to get warm. Before that the bike control doesn't allow you full power (yellow light on the panel). You can find the conversion kit on Snow bike conversion | Track System Canada I used the kit on my KTM 350 SX-F before. It had some more power but the major difference is the silence when riding in the nature in protected area. The nett run-time is about 25 to 30 minutes.

DSC_1747.JPG

Deano

So I can't get the idea of an Alta (EX) Snowbike out of my head. Seems like a great application... no clutch to worry about and plenty of torque to spin the track. Range would be super low, but you could throw a 1000-2000W generator on the back of the tunnel (or a giant DIY stack of 18650s... I hear there may be some extras floating around lol) and just recharge while you take a break. Plus the swing arm is pretty much a KTM, so fit-up should be easy. Not sure how the cold would affect the batteries... might need to turn down the coolant circulation.

Anyone else seen this? Am I crazy? Regardless, I'll keep everyone in the loop if I dive in.
Like your thinking

Butch

Poseur
"in the rpm sweet spot revving the snot out of it,"...
we used to call that "on the pipe". I still do, I suppose. I have always been a two stroke guy.

I suppose in the city "on the pipe" is different.

JP racing

I converted my Alta MX into a snow bike for the winter season. You can watch a short video on https://youtu.be/Ai0nMJSZy8E There are no problems with charging if you do it immediately after riding as the battery is warm enough. When starting the ride, it takes about 3 minutes to get warm. Before that the bike control doesn't allow you full power (yellow light on the panel). You can find the conversion kit on Snow bike conversion | Track System Canada I used the kit on my KTM 350 SX-F before. It had some more power but the major difference is the silence when riding in the nature in protected area. The nett run-time is about 25 to 30 minutes.

View attachment 2352

I am trying to do this right now :).

I was looking at the Explorer and track n' go and of course Timbersled. Then I find out there are like 30 different snowbike solutions 😜

That one looks like a great solution for the New England snow. Did you use the same fit kit as the 350?

Is that the Explorer, did you get the ski with the wheels? Any long term feedback on the system?