SM wheels and brakes on a non-SM

B. FRANK

I HOPE EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM UNDERSTANDS WHAT A GREAT AND HELPFUL GROUP WE'VE GOT HERE.........sometimes it should be shouted out. thank you guys so much, this is something I doubt I could have done myself. on a side note I bought extra sm wheels from liquid performance @ $225 each, they come with discs, sprockets and spacers, I think that's a great deal!

F451

I HOPE EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM UNDERSTANDS WHAT A GREAT AND HELPFUL GROUP WE'VE GOT HERE.........sometimes it should be shouted out. thank you guys so much, this is something I doubt I could have done myself. on a side note I bought extra sm wheels from liquid performance @ $225 each, they come with discs, sprockets and spacers, I think that's a great deal!

This is an amazing bunch of owners.

And that IS a smoking deal on those SM wheels. I had no plans to set my MXR up for SM, but I may not to rethink that now. Damn it. Lol

F451

@B. FRANK , those SM wheels from Liquid Performance, I'm assuming they are Alta factory wheels? And the front wheel hub is wider then say a KTM factory wheel hub?

Reason I am asking if because I installed '14 KTM 500 triple clamps on my MXR (and KTM wheel and axle) which are not as wide as the Alta triples, front wheel hub, and axle.

I'm thinking I would need to re-install all the factory Alta parts in order to run the Alta factory SM front wheel.

Can anyone confirm that? Thanks.

B. FRANK

yes sir factory alta warp 9 sm wheels. I'm not positive but I was told that the Sm's triple tree is wider than the ex or mx so I don't think that sm wheels would work no matter which front end you went with. I would check with rashid510 to be absolutely sure though. good luck, Sm's are a blast on the street.

F451

yes sir factory alta warp 9 sm wheels. I'm not positive but I was told that the Sm's triple tree is wider than the ex or mx so I don't think that sm wheels would work no matter which front end you went with. I would check with rashid510 to be absolutely sure though. good luck, Sm's are a blast on the street.

Makes sense, thanks.

snydes

Staff member
Yep, bike is good to go. Had a little firmware drama but it’s all updated and healthy now. Put some miles on it and I must say, the regen in map 4 is CRAZY on the SM! Really nice doing a quiet county back road drive this time of year enjoying the fall colors.

On a side note after thinking about it, I think the SM rotor would bolt right up to the dirt 21” front wheel. I think @Philip went the other way and put the small rotor on a SM wheel, so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. I suppose it would have been nice to know this sooner though...

B. FRANK

@B. FRANK , those SM wheels from Liquid Performance, I'm assuming they are Alta factory wheels? And the front wheel hub is wider then say a KTM factory wheel hub?

Reason I am asking if because I installed '14 KTM 500 triple clamps on my MXR (and KTM wheel and axle) which are not as wide as the Alta triples, front wheel hub, and axle.

I'm thinking I would need to re-install all the factory Alta parts in order to run the Alta factory SM front wheel.

Can anyone confirm that? Thanks.
good news for you F451 but bad news for me. I bought alta dirt bike wheels from liquid 19 rear and 21 front. rear wheel went on fine. same spacers, disc, and sprocket. chain was too short so I moved on to the front wheel. here's the problem...sm(larger) disc bolted right on to the 21 rim, spacers and axle worked fine, but due to slighter spoke angle the caliper hits the spokes so I assume I would have to change forks to mount a smaller disc. oh well. good news for you is that your smaller disc will bolt right onto the sm front wheel with no clearance issues and rear wheel will go on with no modification at all. good luck. I have no idea about Ktm front end though.

snydes

Staff member
good news for you F451 but bad news for me. I bought alta dirt bike wheels from liquid 19 rear and 21 front. rear wheel went on fine. same spacers, disc, and sprocket. chain was too short so I moved on to the front wheel. here's the problem...sm(larger) disc bolted right on to the 21 rim, spacers and axle worked fine, but due to slighter spoke angle the caliper hits the spokes so I assume I would have to change forks to mount a smaller disc. oh well. good news for you is that your smaller disc will bolt right onto the sm front wheel with no clearance issues and rear wheel will go on with no modification at all. good luck. I have no idea about Ktm front end though.

Hmmm, good info moving forward, never thought about that being an issue. Bummer it didn’t work :(

SRL

Ive got the same setup SM but bike came with EX wheels that I wanted to mount for winter. How much interference on the spokes? Wondering if the SM caliper can be machined for a little bit more clearance.

SRL

Ill check mine. Ive got a 5axis mill so I can take a precise angled cut. Im going to look for a dimensional drawing of the caliper to see how much metal is there.

SRL

I wonder if there is a smaller Brembo radial caliper that could be used for this swap with an adapter?

SRL

I found another 100mm radial caliper thats a bit smaller. The alta is about 76mm wide but this one is 60mm. I ordered it and will report back if it works.

SRL

Just a cheap 4 Pot radial caliper off of eBay from China. Only 35$ so figured it was worth a try. Same offset.