SM Stolen in San Francisco

Johman

Hi guys, my Redshift SM got stolen in San Francisco on Sunday morning (9/26) in the Mission district. Please keep an eye out! As we all know there aren't too many of these out there.

VINSANITY

I really recommend putting a tile tracker on your bike. You can hide it pretty easily. It will update the location every 5 ish minutes so so have a chance of tracking down your bike.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I really recommend putting a tile tracker on your bike. You can hide it pretty easily. It will update the location every 5 ish minutes so so have a chance of tracking down your bike.
That's an interesting idea. But with a Tile-equipped bike stolen, the device would have to find another Tile owner within a 400-ft range with his app running on his cell phone. This would probably happen eventually in San Francisco, but would it happen before the Tile battery dies in areas where things are not stolen as frequently, or where people do not misplace their keys, like in many rural areas?

VINSANITY

To be honest I’m not totally sure how the tile devices work but I’ve tested them for a couple of years now and somehow they update location pretty frequently.

i have been in some pretty rural areas or on trails and the location of the tile eventually gets updated?

Apple now has a similar device.

Batteries need replacement every 8-12 months which is a pain but it does work.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
i have been in some pretty rural areas or on trails and the location of the tile eventually gets updated?
That's because you update the location with your own cell phone. Try losing your keys in that rural area, go home, and see how soon their location gets updated.

VINSANITY

I appreciate the explanation as I really don’t understand how the tile devices work.

I tested it with my cell phone off and it eventually updated the location but I was riding in a group so probably others had active cell phones.

I know it’s not perfect but if your bike gets stolen there is a chance you can locate it.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I hate bike thieves so bumping this back up to the top after a month.

@Johman has there been any update? If the bike hasn't been recovered, can you let us know if there are any distinguishing features, graphics, etc on the bike? Or, post a picture? I am not in SFO but there are a lot of active forum members in the Bay area.

Did the thieves get the key to the bike? Also, if you can post the VIN or at least the last three digits then all of us can watch for the bike coming up for sale.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I hate bike thieves so bumping this back up to the top after a month.

@Johman has there been any update? If the bike hasn't been recovered, can you let us know if there are any distinguishing features, graphics, etc on the bike? Or, post a picture? I am not in SFO but there are a lot of active forum members in the Bay area.

Did the thieves get the key to the bike? Also, if you can post the VIN or at least the last three digits then all of us can watch for the bike coming up for sale.

I have asked for the last three digits with no answer - apparently title was inbound when this happened.

There is a way to bypass the key. Its been done on all bikes stolen in SF. But explaining that would not be ideal here.