Skeleton Capacitors

autohog

How bout a 100kW battery that weighs 22lbs and fully charges in 10min. Sorry capacitor ;) Talk about swap ability.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
How bout a 100kW battery that weighs 22lbs and fully charges in 10min. Sorry capacitor ;) Talk about swap ability.
That's 100 kW, not 100 kWh.

Still, this is pretty damn impressive. It would be cool to replace one half of the Alta's battery with this thing and have 130 hp on tap!

Motophyllic

I bought a capacitor flashlight for way more than I should’ve spent. It charged in 15 seconds and lasted a few minutes. Cool idea, but it didn’t work for long. Hopefully they get the kinks worked out because it was a great start to something big.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I have enough trouble keeping 50hp from killing me, 130 would leave me so deeply embedded in a tree it would be a form fit casket. But it still wouldn't quite solve my range issue....
No $h!t amigo!!!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I would envision the main application of an ultra capacitor is the quick capture and release of energy on braking and acceleration. So, instant regen, and instant acceleration for short bursts, thus removing the load from the battery for longer term energy needs and less thermal effects.

I think you can really see the use of regen application in this vid of the Porsche 919 setting the record at the Nurburgring. It doesn’t actually use an ultra capacitor, but an 800v li-ion setup, where braking regen provides 60% of the energy, and a second turbo in the exhaust drives a generator providing 40% of the energy on acceleration and down the straights. Super cool setup. Watch the “boost” graph, which is the electric boost and regen. It happens really fast. The downforce of this car must be phenomenal.

Top Bottom