Shroud screws

Scooter584

Upper ("radiator") shroud screw is stuck in brass insert and the insert is spinning. Anyone have this happen and what did you do to get it out. I have pleanty of tools but just need a direction. I believe this has happened to me long ago on a Yamaha but I don't remember how I got it out. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Oh and I tried a heat gun, started to warp the plastic a bit and no luck.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I'd probably use my Harbor Freight drill bit kit to diagnally bore a very small hole through edge of plastic just touching insert install a screw to fix insert
then depending if screw is cross threaded or torqued use my Harbor Freight locking pliers to extract..

then reassemble with a very light torque with a liberal dose of JB Quik on insert....

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You can remove the shrouds still attached to the black "delta wing". I had the same problem once, I ended up breaking the delta wing's plastic, and getting a new delta wing under warranty. Now I would be more careful. Drill out the bolt, if I have to.

The inserts pop out to the inside of the delta wing, not to the outside like many other inserts. So, drilling out the bolt is a viable option, if you want to remove the insert without destroying the delta wing.

Scooter584

You can remove the shrouds still attached to the black "delta wing". I had the same problem once, I ended up breaking the delta wing's plastic, and getting a new delta wing under warranty. Now I would be more careful. Drill out the bolt, if I have to.

The inserts pop out to the inside of the delta wing, not to the outside like many other inserts. So, drilling out the bolt is a viable option, if you want to remove the insert without destroying the delta wing.
Thank you guys, ya I had the delta wing off with the shroud taking a quick look at it but didn't get a good look at the insert, good to know it pushes through instead of pulling out.
I don't think it's cross treaded...at least I didn't do it I haven't taken them off since I picked it up new so my guess is just froze up a little.

aremean79

Thank you guys, ya I had the delta wing off with the shroud taking a quick look at it but didn't get a good look at the insert, good to know it pushes through instead of pulling out.
I don't think it's cross treaded...at least I didn't do it I haven't taken them off since I picked it up new so my guess is just froze up a little.

I am having the same problem too. I was going through the bolts the other day and realized that the top right shroud screws were over-tightened and now the insert will spin together with the screw. Let us know how u get it out when u do... Thanks!

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
I had the same problem... Tighten too much then the insert spun... It got a little messy getting the insert out :(
Have a few blown out inserts in the tail section too! Sheesh... Lately my mind is thinking about finding a solution to retrofit alternative plastics.