Should I buy an SM

Cowgirl

I had planned on buying an Alta next March to race in Supermoto, obviously things have changed. I have a line on a 2017 new SM at a dealer, should I buy it? One question I have is about the battery, if it has never been charged and has been sitting for, presumably, a year and a half, will this affect battery performance?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Simply ask the dealer what's the deal with the bike. What they tell you will give you an idea if they know what they are talking about. The bike should be stored around 50% State Of Charge (SOC). I'm sure it's been used, probably as a demo. Check the tires and brake discs for wear, as well as the mileage and hours.

Good luck! I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it running. We seem to be working through those problems.

BTW, the 2017 model year bikes seems to have few issues.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Is it state-side? Maybe there is a member close to the dealer that can go look at it for you.

Ultratoad

Looks like an old fashion PERT chart to me (Program Evaluation Review Technique). The interesting part? The results are still the same.... AND if the prices come down on them, I will buy one too.... They are awesome.... The fact that the SM has the first gen battery pack seems to be a plus....

Speedkills

The SM is super fun but if you actually are buying it to race I think an MXR with supermoto wheels may make more sense. The SM heats up and cuts power at prolonged race pace. Not an issue on the street but a deal breaker if you want to race it. Plus you would want to remove the super convenient onboard charger as it's adding weight and charges slower than you would want between races (but it's perfect for commuting).

Ultratoad

Good info and I agree.... But I just enjoy embarrassing young guys on twisty roads.... My formal racing days are unfortunately long gone.... I have done a few hot laps on the SM.... Big smile !!!!

Ultratoad

Thank you for all the input. I’ll be making the decision in the next couple of days before both the Alta and my plan B option (2019 Husky FS450 SMR) are gone.

I really hate to say this.... I love the Alta.... I'm buying the Husky 701 SM.... Suggest you buy the awesome 450 SM.... I don't need another lawn ornament....