RXR NHTSA decal?

queenofspades

In my state (Georgia) only bikes from factory with a NHTSA decal are allowed to be tagged. Do the RXR's happen to come with that, and has anyone successfully tagged an RXR to EXR conversion in a state that has strict laws like mine?

snydes

Staff member
Maybe something in this thread will help;

queenofspades

In Georgia they have a database of vehicles delivered with NHTSA decals. If your bike isn't on that list, no tag. We are probably one of the most strict states in the union in that regard.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
In Georgia they have a database of vehicles delivered with NHTSA decals. If your bike isn't on that list, no tag. We are probably one of the most strict states in the union in that regard.

Regarding Georgia and ALTA registration ....

I registered my new, fully street legal from the manufacturer, purchased from an authorized dealer while ALTA was still in business EXR with all of the appropriate paperwork and payments, in-person at the county tax office in metro Atlanta. The state office returned my title application weeks later with an additional affidavit form with instructions that I must take the form and the bike for in-person inspection at the police HQ for the jurisdiction in which I lived. A ranking officer at the police HQ had to come out and inspect the bike, check the NHTSA sticker, the VIN stamping, all the street legal parts of the bike, initial a bunch of boxes, and sign the affidavit form including rank, badge number, etc. This is obviously not the top priority at a busy police station so although the officer was helpful and polite, the wait was lengthy. I then had to send all of that back to the state office with photos of the sticker, the VIN stamp, and maybe a couple of other things. Only then did they send a title a month or so later.

And in Georgia you will also get to pay the annual Alternate Fuel Tax for having an EV. For 2021 that was $214 on top of the regular registration fees.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Sounds as bad as Washington state, costs over $300.00 a year to license because it's electric. My KTM is only$60ish a year...

Just remember, don't steal, the government hates competition!

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

All Altas were built in specification of NHTSA and the DOT. If your bike has VIN label and VECI label then there within compliance of the DOT. If you get the specfic labels for an EXR then you should be able to register appropriately.

snydes

Staff member
Does anything on your Georgia title say “MXR”? If not, and all they have to reference are the decals on the frame, then you should be able to work around that.

queenofspades

Does anything on your Georgia title say “MXR”? If not, and all they have to reference are the decals on the frame, then you should be able to work around that.
I haven't bought (yet). Just inquiring before I make that decision.

Georgia tag offices are strict and trained to only tag what shows in their database of NHTSA decalled vehicles. If it's not there, no tag. I tried to do an end around a few years ago with an enduro style bike that was fully converted, but the state blocked me.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
So MXR's have a NHTSA decal on it?

Nope, at least my 2019 MXR does not. I think Rashid's comment was stating that the bikes are fully compliant even though they don't arrive with the sticker (since they are sold as off-road vehicles); and referencing the aftermarket availability of the stickers as used on EX/EXRs. Some people have used these stickers to get titles and licenses in other states; specifically California. The link and contact for that company are in the thread referenced in the second post above

I am not aware of anyone using these in GA, so no idea if such a sticker would get you through the NHTSA database gauntlet or whether there would be unwelcome consequences if discovered.

queenofspades

As much as I want to pull the trigger on the EXR on ebay, I can't. The second Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Kaw come out with an electric bike, Alta's are going to be a really bad choice due to lack of parts availability (such as radiator shrouds which we're sure to mangle eventually)

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
You can still get parts like the shrouds (Alta doesn’t have radiators, though) from Liquid Performance. There are some parts that are getting rare, like right-side number plates, but most things are still available or fixable.

1630620366621.jpeg

leeo45

Geezer in denial
As much as I want to pull the trigger on the EXR on ebay, I can't. The second Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Kaw come out with an electric bike, Alta's are going to be a really bad choice due to lack of parts availability (such as radiator shrouds which we're sure to mangle eventually)

I completely understand that perspective. However at the rate the major manufacturers seem to be progressing with a truly competitive, full-size bike I'll be using a walker instead of an enduro bike by the time they are available. Hopefully one of those companies will prove me wrong.

I am supremely happy that I bought two ALTAs when I had the chance: EXR when the company was still operating and MXR post-shutdown. I think I have only ridden my KTM 400XCW twice since I got the ALTAs and I was complaining to myself the whole time about having to change gears, the noise, and the fumes. ALTAs are wonderfully capable motorcycles and I can even ride them in my backyard without bothering anyone.

queenofspades

You can still get parts like the shrouds (Alta doesn’t have radiators, though) from Liquid Performance. There are some parts that are getting rare, like right-side number plates, but most things are still available or fixable.

View attachment 7611
There is a pretty substantial and smart group of folks who own/work on the first gen Honda Insights at insightcentral.net - folks have figured how to backwards engineer a lot of the electronics on those cars, up to including battery swaps and implementing CANbus (understand the Alta has this from the factory).

Are folks here getting wise on how to deal with display codes, or is this all still pretty unknown territory?

snydes

Staff member
There is a pretty substantial and smart group of folks who own/work on the first gen Honda Insights at insightcentral.net - folks have figured how to backwards engineer a lot of the electronics on those cars, up to including battery swaps and implementing CANbus (understand the Alta has this from the factory).

Are folks here getting wise on how to deal with display codes, or is this all still pretty unknown territory?
The Alta firmware has not been “cracked”, or if it has been it’s been a well kept secret. Most of the electronics have proven to be extremely reliable, certain battery problems are probably the most common issue we hear about, but they are not common if that makes sense. There are a few people out there who have the skills to repair certain battery issues. Most problems we have been able to work through so far with our network of resources. There is currently only one bike I’m aware of that is out of service awaiting a major electrical component, and that failure was due to a series of human errors. So overall these bikes have really exceeded all expectations IMO.

As long as a person is patient and understands there are owner/enthusiasts working in their spare time that will help with problems, owning one of these bikes is still really appealing. It’s not for everyone though.

Caryder

All Altas were built in specification of NHTSA and the DOT. If your bike has VIN label and VECI label then there within compliance of the DOT. If you get the specfic labels for an EXR then you should be able to register appropriately.
I bought and registered my Alta EXR in Arizona in 2018. I moved to Wisconsin this October and they won’t register it because

“2019 ALTA VIN #…000114

We received your title and Wisconsin Title and License Plate Application for the above vehicle. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this manufacturer did not certify this product as
complying with the Federal motor vehicle safety standards which are applicable to motor vehicles as defined at 49 U.S.C. 30102. Therefore, this vehicle can only be titled in Wisconsin with a brand of NOT FOR USE on WISCONSIN ROADS, and we cannot issue registration. Your title/application and fees will be refunded and will arrive separately. If you decide to apply for a title only, please resubmit your application and title transfer fee.

If you have any questions, call (608) 264-0890. Telephones are answered between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.

BUREAU OF VEHICLE SERVICES”

I’m going to call tomorrow, and I’m positive that the motorcycle was properly certified with NHTSA. So what can I point them to to prove that?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Did you properly scribe the VIN? Some times the DMVs in the USA get confused that we built the bike in Brisbane, CA on the WMI identifier (which is VIN Position 11) and they think it was built in Brisbane, Australia (I had to clarify this with the CHP and DMV here in CA) Also is the VECI label still on the bike? (Smaller sticker near the VIN sticker)

49 U.S.C. 30102 - has a broad definition regarding standards....Which sounds like there throwing the general book at it. Also if the bike was titled and registered in another state, the title transfer should be pretty clear on the documentation.

The Alta VIN and bike itself is certified under 49 CFR Part 565.