Rutt Roh! Code 36 in da House

evh1

I plugged up my 2018 EXR with 1100 miles on the battery to my charger on 240v and as I turned the key, the yellow Check Engine lit up on the display. Hmm. As the charge ran its course, I looked thru the manual and forum on display lights etc and nothing in manual or forum ( unless my searches sucked). I checked the charge indicator and it was stuck at 70% for 2 hrs more than a normal high voltage charge time. So, I did what anyone of us would, I rode the piss out it thinking it might help...lol. Rode it it out till it hit rock bottom and pushed it to the garage. Hey! That'll fix/teach it. Plugged it back in on 110v this time and 4 hrs later it charged to 90% and stopped. I turned it all off then on then off and hooked the charger back up to see if it would top off. No joy. I did then notice that the mileage figure was alternating with a short message. Hard to read on my display...I guess due to age...I was able to read the message after pressing the display plastic in some...EEK! Code fuggin 36 !!
So, everything works great but charging is compromised. Do I worry? I can attempt to hook up to my Alta laptop and read....what? I'm a little spooked by the MultiTool deal but can limp thru with the tutorial we have I imagine, but don't know what I'm looking at. With 1100 miles on the bike and the latest firmware loaded, I know I don't want to download the trip log as it might be a week in happening.
May I ask for a step by step how to from the gurus here on our forum? I'll go read all the code 36 links I can find meanwhile. Thanks guys

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Do I worry?
No.

I can attempt to hook up to my Alta laptop and read....what? I'm a little spooked by the MultiTool deal but can limp thru with the tutorial we have I imagine, but don't know what I'm looking at. With 1100 miles on the bike and the latest firmware loaded
Yes please connect MT to your bike. Ideally the battery tab graph will provide the most information ideally.

I had myself a scare a few weeks ago because the algorithm detecting Code 36s is so SENSITIVE my SM had a quick blip and threw the error code (a bike with 3800miles on it). Multiple rides and charges its all good. So ideally get it on to MT so the graph can provide more insight.

evh1

To All and Rashid - I went to my bike shop to plug in my Alta to MT and diagnose the Codex36 with my laptop, and found that the laptop, some tools and a CB750 I was restoring had been stolen. Good thing is culprit was arrested and is in jail. Bad thing is my laptop with MT is gone. Do I need to rent one from the forum or can I download the necessary programs to a new one? Send a new one to one of y'all? I do still have the cables, butI imagine I should get PC n cables to be sure, if rented
Thoughts anyone?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Get a new computer and follow the new steps outlined for installing multitool via Oracle Virtual Box. Its pretty easy.

evh1

Cool. I missed that in my search for MT. Thank you for the link. Is Oracle a program or an app? I’m ok on a PC but beyond Windows, I’m unfamiliar. Similar to Ubuntu?
Without typing a novel, what does Oracle do? Ditto for Unbunto.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Cool. I missed that in my search for MT. Thank you for the link. Is Oracle a program or an app? I’m ok on a PC but beyond Windows, I’m unfamiliar. Similar to Ubuntu?
Without typing a novel, what does Oracle do? Ditto for Unbunto.

Oracle Virtual Machine is a software program which lives in your Windows machine. It runs on top of windows without running another operating system.

Ubuntu is a completely different in the sense that you install a new operating system on your laptop (overwrites windows) and runs directly on your computer. I prefer Ubuntu since virtual machines can hog resources on computers.

evh1

Oracle Virtual Machine is a software program which lives in your Windows machine. It runs on top of windows without running another operating system.

Ubuntu is a completely different in the sense that you install a new operating system on your laptop (overwrites windows) and runs directly on your computer. I prefer Ubuntu since virtual machines can hog resources on computers.
Roger - thanks for 'splaining that to me.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
The good news is that Bryan has already done 99% of the work for you with his current instructions. Just take a laptop that is currently running Windows, and download the Oracle VirtualBox software. Then you copy the file that Bryan provides, which is an image of a fully configured Linux machine, complete with pre-installed MultiTool.

Way easier than the old instructions where you had to configure VirtualBox, install Ubuntu, install MT, etc.

I will say that you should have a machine with at least 4gb of RAM to use a virtual machine. 2gb really doesn’t cut it.

The good news is that Bryan has already done 99% of the work for you with his current instructions. Just take a laptop that is currently running Windows, and download the Oracle VirtualBox software. Then you copy the file that Bryan provides, which is an image of a fully configured Linux machine, complete with pre-installed MultiTool.

Way easier than the old instructions where you had to configure VirtualBox, install Ubuntu, install MT, etc.

I will say that you should have a machine with at least 4gb of RAM to use a virtual machine. 2gb really doesn’t cut it.

Also, make sure your Laptop you want to install this on has Hyper-V

To check if you do and its available and working just type "MSINFO32" into the search bar bottom left (on a windows machine).

Its not that hard to make it all work, just give your self plenty of time to download and run it all, don't do it in a rush!.

20210722_173706.jpg

evh1

Got a laptop with MT going and I have dropped an entire battery module, #0, dang it. Called Rashid and he was super helpful in diagnosis and explanation. I've pulled my battery pack from the the bike and will ground send it to Rashid for a rebuild. Good news that the other 3 modules were in good shape. 1200 miles and 1 problem. Will put a few miles on my EXR #2 with 200 miles while I wait. Love my Atlas.