Roaming the Cascades on the MXR

F451

Here's a little sampler from a ride I did yesterday out here in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State on what will likely be one of the last warm, sunny, snow free days up there. This was the first time I took the 2018 MXR up in the mountains, it did great. 26 miles and drained the battery, could probably have squeezed out another 3-4 miles but did not want a long walk back to my truck if I ran it out completely. I didn't see a single person up there all day either on the trails or the roads except for a 3 man brush cutting crew who must have been dropped off since they did not have a rig with them.

I was also doing further testing with my GoPro Hero 7 Black, put a wind sock on it, sounds much better. Also tested out a GPS app called Maprika on my old iPhone 7, that worked out pretty good too.

IMG_0323-M.jpg

A nice icy road for the ride down off the north (shady) side of the mountain. You better be paying attention or you're going to have a really bad day, Lol.

IMG_0332-M.jpg

All in all, a good day. I would have liked a little more range, but I think the climbs ate a lot of the battery energy as I've regularly gotten 35-40 miles of mixed riding when not in the mountains. -Eddie

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
That's some awesome trails there, nice mix of tight tracks and more open forest. But as you say, likely the last warm sorta snow free day of this season.

Thanks for sharing!

F451

That's some awesome trails there, nice mix of tight tracks and more open forest. But as you say, likely the last warm sorta snow free day of this season.

Thanks for sharing!

Yes it is an awesome riding area but I think the Alta is not quite ready for mountain trails, range is too limited. I was hoping for 30-40 miles which I think could be made to work with some planning and thought. 25 miles doesn't allow for getting to the good stuff and back with a good safety cushion in most places. I'll be doing some more playing around with the mapping apps and seeing if 25 mile loops can be made to work (25 miles out and back for lunch, generator and quick charger and back out for another loop).

Besides trying to map out 25 mile loops that are worth doing, you also have to figure in the inevitable times where you get lost, or there is an unexpected trail closure forcing a lengthy detour. Getting stuck out in these mountains overnight is no joke, even in the summer.

I was hoping to do more mtn riding this past summer, will see if I can do more next summer, but I can now see I will have to put more research and thought into any of those mtn rides.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Here's a little sampler from a ride I did yesterday out here in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State on what will likely be one of the last warm, sunny, snow free days up there. This was the first time I took the 2018 MXR up in the mountains, it did great. 26 miles and drained the battery, could probably have squeezed out another 3-4 miles but did not want a long walk back to my truck if I ran it out completely. I didn't see a single person up there all day either on the trails or the roads except for a 3 man brush cutting crew who must have been dropped off since they did not have a rig with them.

I was also doing further testing with my GoPro Hero 7 Black, put a wind sock on it, sounds much better. Also tested out a GPS app called Maprika on my old iPhone 7, that worked out pretty good too.

View attachment 4068

A nice icy road for the ride down off the north (shady) side of the mountain. You better be paying attention or you're going to have a really bad day, Lol.

View attachment 4067

All in all, a good day. I would have liked a little more range, but I think the climbs ate a lot of the battery energy as I've regularly gotten 35-40 miles of mixed riding when not in the mountains. -Eddie
great video, nice riding area you have.