Rim Options, Triple Clamp Options?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I want to replace the rims and spokes with stronger units that are less, excuse the pun, prone to warping. I know our hubs were designed specifically for our bikes. Are the rims and spokes just standard Warp9 Elite rims and spokes laced to the Alta hub? I'd prefer to go with a set of Excel A-60's or DID Dirtstar STX's.

Tuner

The rear wheel / hub will directly interchange with that of a KTM. The front hub is roughly 18mm's wider than that of a KTM thus requiring specific spokes.
A complete KTM front wheel can be used with proper spacers for both the wheel and the brake hanger.

Hope this helps.

Tuner

Sounds like i should just ditch the stock triple clamps and wheels and go with a KTM triple clamp and front wheel.
The only drawback being that with the narrower triple clamps of the KTM your minimum turning radius will be increased as the clamps will hit the stops and / or chassis sooner.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
The only drawback being that with the narrower triple clamps of the KTM your minimum turning radius will be increased as the clamps will hit the stops and / or chassis sooner.
I wouldn't really want to give up any turning radius for woods riding, that's for sure.

BEZ23

Hit up the guys at Faster USA in Temecula. They measured out my stock and Supermoto rims and can make spacers, have all rim/spoke/hub/brake/sprockets you could ever want. All top of the line brands, and they're making a lot of stuff for the pro guys too. Tell Colin or Vince "Steven with the Alta sent you".

gprix1

I have the KTM triples and did not lose any turning radius. The reason is that even though it is closer to the frame when the wheel is pointed straight, at full lock the fork tube is at a more forward and therefore narrower part of the frame. Absolutely no loss of turning radius and may have even gained a tiny amount. If you need more proof I can break out the camera.

Tuner

I have the KTM triples and did not lose any turning radius. The reason is that even though it is closer to the frame when the wheel is pointed straight, at full lock the fork tube is at a more forward and therefore narrower part of the frame. Absolutely no loss of turning radius and may have even gained a tiny amount. If you need more proof I can break out the camera.

Tuner

Depends on the offset of the KTM clamp that is being used. Alta clamp offset has a range of 18mm - 22mm. The 18mm offset with narrower clamps did indeed reduce the turning radius. Such is the reason behind the wide, one off, billet, adjustable clamps featured on the pictured Flat Tracker. This particular motorcycle is just shy of being able to turn the front wheel 90 degrees prior to hitting the stops.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
The past few weeks I ran Mark911's spare front end with 2012 KTM Factory racing triple clamps set at 20mm offset, 52mm CV's, and KTM front wheel. I didn't lose any turning radius and the clamps hit these enlarged steering stops we used.

IMG_20190126_122828.jpg
IMG_20190126_122649.jpg
IMG_20190126_122749.jpg
IMG_20190126_122718.jpg

Tuner

Clamp configuration also plays a role.
Guy's, I am simply attempting to assist. However, if you prefer, I can simply say nothing. No problem.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Clamp configuration also plays a role.
Guy's, I am simply attempting to assist. However, if you prefer, I can simply say nothing. No problem.

Think you took my post the wrong way. We appreciate your insight and help. I'm not intending to disprove you. I'm simply adding to the conversation.

gprix1

Depends on the offset of the KTM clamp that is being used. Alta clamp offset has a range of 18mm - 22mm. The 18mm offset with narrower clamps did indeed reduce the turning radius. Such is the reason behind the wide, one off, billet, adjustable clamps featured on the pictured Flat Tracker. This particular motorcycle is just shy of being able to turn the front wheel 90 degrees prior to hitting the stops.

I guess I should have clarified that I was using the stock Alta 22mm offset which is the same for most modern stock KTM clamps making swapping a snap. I have not tried an 18mm offset with a KTM clamp so I cannot comment on whether you would retain full turning radius in this configuration.

Hi all.

Reading into this and i am going to swap out the stock 2019 MXR clamps for a set of KTM fitment stock or Xtrigs.

After reading this thread... Front hub mod

Got me thinking is that the only way to be able to use the standard front hub/wheel when using a KTM set of clamps?....

Seen plenty of people using the KTM wheel with the Alta clamps, but not the Alta wheel with KTM clamps?. (with out doing Marks way).

Be nice to be able to use the stock Alta wheel as a spare if needed as a straight swap out!.