Owner's Review Review after 500 miles on my MXR

mlbco

Here's a video I made containing some thoughts on my 2018 MXR aft the first 500 miles. I'm still modifying it to get it the way I want so this review will be updated after I make additional mods. I show some riding examples at the end of the video:

Steve

mlbco

Is your 20 mile range at Metcalf? What ratio of your riding is MX to single track to normal trails?
I get the same range at Hollister and Metcalf. I mostly ride the single track trails but I hit all the tracks at least once. At Hollister I can do the entire Renz property with enough energy to get back to my car safely.

ElectroBraap

Great video! One thing I don't understand is why your only getting 50mph. I top out at 68mph with ease in map 4. In other maps the top speed is lower.

My bike is all beat up compared to yours haha (800 miles). Makes me want new plastics already!

-Electro

mlbco

Great video! One thing I don't understand is why your only getting 50mph. I top out at 68mph with ease in map 4. In other maps the top speed is lower.

My bike is all beat up compared to yours haha (800 miles). Makes me want new plastics already!

-Electro

I mostly ride map 2 but when I've used 3 or 4 I didn't notice much difference in top speed but I could try again. On the same stretch where I max out at 50mph on the Alta I can hit 64mph on my Beta 300.

Steve

mlbco

Great review. Could you compare/contrast the Alta to your Beta? Just curious, almost bought a Beta.

The Beta 300 is one of my all time favorite motorcycles. The power delivery is perfect for cross-country style riding, very linear with just a bit of "hit". It has an electric start and oil injection (no pre-mix needed.) It uses a standard crburetor so there will never be a fuel injection system failure on the trail. I've been riding it for 2 years and have had no issues with it and it was about $1000 cheaper than a similar KTM. The only drawback is I can only ride it locally 6 months of the year due to the emissions regulations in California. I haven't ridden a KTM 300 (or Husky) so I can't offer a comparison.

A comparison between the Beta and Alta isn't really fair because they are designed for different uses. The Alta can't go as far and was really designed for MX racing. The Beta doesn't have the wheelspin issue that the Alta has. I don't like that the regen is non-adjustable on the Alta, but any gas bike has "adjustable" engine braking just by pulling in the clutch or changing gears while coasting. The Beta has a stronger motor and more torque at high speed. The Alta "signs-off" at a round 50 mph. I'm fairly certain that I'm faster on the Beta than the Alta. The Alta is simpler to ride without the gears or clutch to worry about. It pulls really hard out of corners when the traction is good. I like the lack of maintenance on it compared to a gas bike. I don't have a skid plate on the Alta , so I feel less comfortable taking it on really rocky technical sections for fear of damaging the battery box. The Beta can suffer much more abuse without fear of a costly repair.

The Alta is truly unique and I like the challenge of riding it fast. If I could just tweak the software and get rid of the excessive wheel acceleration it would be a much better bike.

Steve

Oded

Great review. Thanks!
Perhaps playing with the rear suspension setup would help with the rear wheel spin issue over small bumps.

metallic88

I mostly ride map 2 but when I've used 3 or 4 I didn't notice much difference in top speed but I could try again. On the same stretch where I max out at 50mph on the Alta I can hit 64mph on my Beta 300.

Steve
thats weird because I have no problems hitting 70mph in all maps on my mx, Ive even went across woops in map 1 at close to 60mph

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
The more & more I dig into the Alta - reading between the lines I'm seeing a significant 'baseline' ie every bike behaves significantly different. From a standardized manufacturer seems odd to me....

Perhaps Steve jobs is hacking our firmware from the afterlife?

metallic88

The more & more I dig into the Alta - reading between the lines I'm seeing a significant 'baseline' ie every bike behaves significantly different. From a standardized manufacturer seems odd to me....

Perhaps Steve jobs is hacking our firmware from the afterlife?
I'd imagine it depends on the firmware of the bike, mine was updated to the newest firmware right before I bought it..

mlbco

Great review. Thanks!
Perhaps playing with the rear suspension setup would help with the rear wheel spin issue over small bumps.

I spent several hours tuning the suspension (front and back) to address this issue with little success. What I show in the video is my final set-up. Compared to stock the suspension my set-up is somewhat softer but the rear wheel hop persists. My other dirt bikes behave similarly but with less wheel spin.
Steve

WoodsWeapon

My KTM has a traction control option on the handlebars, and at first I was sceptical, but when wet and slippery it does work. But its not a true TC system with a wheel sensor, it senses rapid RPM spikes, and limits power based on that data. I would think a similar sensor is already on our Altas and used for other things, and would be easy to incorporate into TC.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The Alta knows its rear wheel's RPM, which is always proportional to the engine's RPM. It also has a built-in tri-axial accelerometer and gyro built in. This is all that you really need for traction control. From here on it is just programming and tuning. I am sure they have some early and crude version of traction control already. It is okay if people complain about some wheel spin and tire wear. It would have been worse if they were complaining about insufficient power or an intermittent loss of power.