Reverse Gear Switch

Matt

E-Rider
Just thinking out loud here. Would it be possible to put a mechanical switch that reversed polarity on the current coming into the motor switching the direction it spins? Probably would be unsafe and I can't imagine a way to make it off the top of my head but.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Just thinking out loud here. Would it be possible to put a mechanical switch that reversed polarity on the current coming into the motor switching the direction it spins? Probably would be unsafe and I can't imagine a way to make it off the top of my head but.

Hooo boy that would be sketch.

Most reverse systems on electric motorcycles (Energica, Zero(Zero has it blocked but the Sevcon controllers can do it) are usually governed by the firmware functions.

Trialsman

Again off the top of the head; could you locate the switch in a very inconvient spot such as between the aluminum frame members, above battery? In that way you could still get to it if needed but certainly could not accidentally be hit by you or things like vegetation brushing past. A reverse was something I have wanted since I bought my first Alta. Just a thought.

Motophyllic

I want to reverse in my Alta So bad as well. How about a polarity reversing switch with a current limiting dial? I’m willing to try anything 😁

Trialsman

Rashid510, Will the idea of a switch to reverse polarity work? You know these creatures better than anybody so we value you opinion. If the only downside is a change proposed by an instant reverse, then can it be reduced or elimanated? This would be of little value to the MXers but for those in single track it would be awesome. With your guidance, I would be willing to give it a try.

enjoythesilenc

I'm surprised ctor hasn't suggested installing the chain inside out or changing the orientation of the tire direction arrow to obtain reverse:ricky:

There are several complicated ways to make this happen and one very easy way if we only had someone who could create new firmware editions.:muutt:

Reversing the dc polarity isnt going to work as the dc is "converted" to AC to drive the motor in a specific direction based on the firmware knowing where the motor position is at all times. Rashid et al can set us straight on this concept, though...

The complicated ways I can imagine all require a separate system to either drive the existing motor backwards when the Alta system is disabled or drive a hubmotor in one of the wheels. (the latter would sort of have additional benefits such as 2wd)!

The other way would be to incorporate a mechanical reversing gear into the geartrain next to your right boot. Might as well add a clutch there while you are at it.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
@enjoythesilenc is hitting the topic I mentioned earlier. Firmware will have to be modified to adjust the for the motor reversal. If the position sensor on the motor detected some sort of reverse signal, it could create the same fault behavior similar to when the throttle recall occurred. Im all for thinking about it....
Some other thoughts:
A front hub motor similar to the original silent-hawk concept or a Christini AWD setup on the front would let that option function independent of the Redshift power-train.

Basically any additions to the power-train would be a piggy back..similar to how most car tuners in the import world developed ECU systems to circumvent the controls.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I'm surprised ctor hasn't suggested installing the chain inside out or changing the orientation of the tire direction arrow to obtain reverse:ricky:

Yeah, you guys are totally overthinking this. For a couple of bucks, you could make one of these fabulous Indian reverser gizmos, and be 100% bidirectional at the drop of of a hat (well a rope and a couple of rollers). Pure. Genius.

1598752363120.jpg