Removing batteries

Dieterly

Hello everyone!

I’m shipping 2 bikes overseas but I need to take out the batteries and the motors and ship them separately. Could someone point me in the right direction where I can get information how to go about taking them apart without getting electrocuted?😂😂

Many thanks!

Dieterly

Because bikes without and engines/motors have a lot lower import tariffs, so it’s quite a bit cheaper shipping everything separately.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I would remove the battery and say the bike has no motor. The motor is so small you can't tell whether it is in or not anyway, and nobody can prove it either way without taking the bike apart. The battery is the largest piece. If you remove it, it will look like something large and significant is definitely missing, so nobody will question you.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I would remove the battery and say the bike has no motor. The motor is so small you can't tell whether it is in or not anyway, and nobody can prove it either way without taking the bike apart. The battery is the largest piece. If you remove it, it will look like something large and significant is definitely missing, so nobody will question you.
This is the approach I would use if I were doing this... What are the odds that the customs guy is a member here and read this??

Maybe take the chain off too, possibly a little more convincing... Just remember, free advise is always worth every penny.

metallic88

Hello everyone!

I’m shipping 2 bikes overseas but I need to take out the batteries and the motors and ship them separately. Could someone point me in the right direction where I can get information how to go about taking them apart without getting electrocuted?😂😂

Many thanks!
its all in the owners manual, and the bcu will not send the 328v or so volts depending on charge across the orange connector without the bike turned on.
2017 & 2018-2019 Alta Redshift Owners Manual

Dieterly

You definitely don’t take a chance with customs, especially if thousands of dollars are at risk. Of course they will know that they are electric bikes and will specifically look if the motor is removed.

@metallic88 Thanks for the info!!

Yuppiekleine

To which country do you want to ship the bikes? Many countries have cheaper tax rates for electro bikes than gas powered bikes or spareparts. It makes sense to call local tax offices before tearing the bikes apart.

ageess

Für deutschland keine strafzölle die gelten nur für motorräder mit verbrennungsmotoren aus USA wie Harley usw bei Zoll abrufen.und richtige Warennummer verwenden dann sind das nur ca 5% und 19% steuer auf alles incl Fracht .

Yuppiekleine

That’s why I was asking to which country overseas he has to ship the bikes.
The 25 percent punitive duties which he might be talking about or wants to avoid only come into play when you import gas powered bikes with more than 450 cc to the European Union.
i importet two Altas to Germany last month and only had to pay 6 percent tax. But I am not sure if all countries which are member in the EU follow the same rules because when I import cars it is also sometimes much cheaper to import via Rotterdam Netherlands than Bremerhaven Germany. So, for a precise answer we need to know where the bikes will have to be shipped.