Regen in different maps?!

Oded

Honestly, map 4 on the EX is still very exciting! You will probably still be in map 1/2 for offroad use. I tend to use map 3 on the supermoto for street use, map 4 is just for grin factor :)

I agree. The only place I use map 4 on the EX is for its motor braking on steep descends. For power, I don't really see how it can be useful, except for the occasion tire spin burnout or something.

bluefxstc

I thought the EX had the same regen in all the maps. Do you think there is more regen in map 4? I have never tried it, or even thought of trying it, for regen so asking.

From the Redshift EX 2018 Quick Start Guide:

1523072232832-png.52

Oded

There is a very noticable difference in regen between the mods. Map 4 in the EX have a very hard and unpleasent motor braking. Give it a try.

Oded

Weird... Any other EX users can shed some light over the different maps.
The difference in regen is very noticable between the maps, and can not be mistaken.

Philip, how do you tag the Alta rep to this thread?

Oded

On my EX, the difference between the regen in the different maps is very pronounced.

In map 4 the regen is so strong that is usefull for steep descends only.

Apparently, according to the brochure, the regen is the same on all maps in the EX. However, it is stronger in map 4 in the SM model.

What is other EX's users experience? Philip suggested that perhaps my EX is flashed with the SM maps..

Screenshot_20180610-205117.png

Screenshot_20180610-205151.png

bluefxstc

OK, in a completely un-scientific test, the regen on my EX seems to be the same in map 1 & 2, more in map 3 and even more in map 4. I rode the bike on my street at 35 mph and shut the twist grip off at the same point, or as close as I could get it, in all the maps. The distance to stop, or nearly stop, was about the same in map 1 & 2, less in map 3, and even less in map 4 so not sure what is going on. The results also matched the seat of the pants deceleration I felt. It looks like my programming is more like the SM programming chart that Philip posted, than the EX chart I posted, and similar to what Oded is reporting, interesting.

Oded

Regen in maps on the different models
MX/MXR: 4 > 1 > 3 > 2
EX: all the same
SM: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

the one thing I know for sure is that the Regen on my EX is 4 > 3 > 2 > 1.
it can not be mistaken. how can I know for sure what maps I have flashed on my bike (VIN 46)?

bluefxstc

The test on my EX showed the regen on map 1 & 2 to be almost the same with significant difference between 2 & 3 and 3 & 4. I am ok with the difference. Now that I know map 3 & 4 have more regen I may actually use them. Most of the time I just ride in map 1 with occasional use of map 2. Now I will have to rethink where I put the map switch when I install the LHRB kit I picked up last weekend. I was going to install in inboard of the mirror since I don't use it much, but now with more regen, maybe i will use it more. :unsure: I think I am serial number 27, but will double check when I get home tonight.

bking

A couple of years ago I had a Zero FX (infuriating bike.) One cool thing that users & vendors had worked out was a way to add a left lever that just activated the regen braking, not the pads. Basically it’s engine braking. It was cool in that you don’t waste any energy as heat, you recover as much as possible. The weird part is you’d get more braking force the lower the battery charge is, and no braking on a fully charged battery.

Anyway it would be cool if that was an option for the Alta.

MattB

I guess it depends on the difficulty of track you are riding but I’ve found map 4 on the MXR is the only map that has enough grunt to clear big jumps directly out of turns. This is more of an Sx style of riding but there are a lot of Mx tracks out there with these sort of obstacles. Map 3 will work but you better be railing the outside and holding corner speed perfectly.

Fod

I guess it depends on the difficulty of track you are riding but I’ve found map 4 on the MXR is the only map that has enough grunt to clear big jumps directly out of turns. This is more of an Sx style of riding but there are a lot of Mx tracks out there with these sort of obstacles. Map 3 will work but you better be railing the outside and holding corner speed perfectly.
What gearing? For stock gearing, I feel map 3 would be easier then 250f bikes though...so if your doing it on a 250f (jumping from inside), map 3 should be easier. But the 2 tracks that had this style layout that I used to ride closed down, so never got to experience the alta on them.