Regen in different maps?!

MattB

Tried it on 12/53, 13/53, and 14/53

14/53 works best for me. Still enough to clear all obstacles with reduced spin.

I also compared back to back with my 2018 KTM 450 SX-F in 3rd gear. Obviously I can clear the sections much easier with the KTM.

There is also a section on the track that required 2nd gear on the KTM (roller just before a step on / step off) The Alta performs okay but you really have to hold WOT immediately after the roller to make it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. In Map 2 or 3 you only get 37hp peak power, which is merely a 125cc power. Map 4 is where the sweet spot is. If you can use it.

This week I re-discovered my most favorite track. It also happended to be my nearest track. It changed ownership three years ago, the new owners changed the layout, and I did not like it for these three years. But this week I found my flow on it. The front straight has a long jump in the beginning, then a few jumpable sand rollers. Map 4 makes it possible to have fun there.

rayivers

Just thought of a couple things... on my Zero, the regen was affected by sprocket choice (lower gearing = more regen, all maps) and also by battery state of charge (in the highest-regen 'Eco' map at 100% charge, it often seemed to have NO regen at all initially, to prevent overcharging). Perhaps Alta's SOC regen-mapping protocol is similar, idk.

strider

Yes, SOC=State of Charge. Lack of regen at full charge is common to all EVs and can be surprising to people that are new to EVs since ICE engine braking doesn't change based on how much fuel is in the tank :cool: It's also common to limit regen when the battery is cold.

bluefxstc

Just to confirm what was stated earlier. This is from the 2017 Redshift Owners & Service Manual:

"When the HV battery is full, regen will be automatically reduced to prevent overcharge".

"If the HV battery is below freezing temperature, it will refuse to charge, and drive power will be reduced. Capacity (driving range) will also be reduced at low temperature".

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I once has a "cold" check engine light on my MX back in April. It was in the low 30's outside and in the garage. That lasted all but a couple of minutes.