Rear hub spacers causing squeaky rear brake

Fod

Hey guys!
A month or so ago my rear brake caliper was squeaking on the rotor. I thought I may have warped something with the heat but fog noticed my rear wheel spacers were not looking normal. We removed my wheel and noticed the bearings and inner spacer just float in the hub. We centered it and sure enough it fixed the issue....for a few more moto days. The squeak came back this week and sure enough the spacers were not centered again.

I haven't heard anyone with this issue but just wanted to see if someone has had it happened and knows of a fix.

rayivers

We removed my wheel and noticed the bearings and inner spacer just float in the hub

Sounds like either the bearings or hub bearing pockets are toast ( I get about 2 years max on wheel bearings, riding trails). I imagine racing would be much harder on them though, especially jumps.

Fod

The bearings look and feel great, but yeah the housings may be worn out or just defective. I have never had this issue before, and don't feel I am hard on my bikes....actually I would say I am easier then the average motocross rider. I wonder if I should hit up Alta or warp 9...I assume warp 9.

I assume your trails are extremely rough...more rough then the groomed tracks I ride on!

rayivers

The trails I ride on are pretty nasty for the most part, I wish they were smoother (and longer), but I can ride to them from my house so there's good and bad. My Zero has terrible bearings - at 5K miles I've now replaced all of them at least once, the wheel bearings 3x each (tiny 6904 mountain-bike size POS's). If your bearing pockets are roached it sounds like a warranty item to me, but I don't know for sure. Fwiw, if you need a quick fix to get riding again - I got an eBay hub once where the bearing spun & enlarged the pocket; I dimpled the pocket I.D. all over with a punch & installed the new bearings with red LocTite, they're still holding fine years later (replacing the hub's better, of course).

WoodsWeapon

most hubs have a snapring to keep one bearing seated and then the wheel cant drift to one side or the other. Does yours have a snapring?

Fod

most hubs have a snapring to keep one bearing seated and then the wheel cant drift to one side or the other. Does yours have a snapring?
Good question! I'll tear into it this week and see. Maybe clip ring was never installed or poped out of grove. I thought the bearing were seated against the actual hub (machining).

Fod

The trails I ride on are pretty nasty for the most part, I wish they were smoother (and longer), but I can ride to them from my house so there's good and bad. My Zero has terrible bearings - at 5K miles I've now replaced all of them at least once, the wheel bearings 3x each (tiny 6904 mountain-bike size POS's). If your bearing pockets are roached it sounds like a warranty item to me, but I don't know for sure. Fwiw, if you need a quick fix to get riding again - I got an eBay hub once where the bearing spun & enlarged the pocket; I dimpled the pocket I.D. all over with a punch & installed the new bearings with red LocTite, they're still holding fine years later (replacing the hub's better, of course).
Ha! That's nuts! I would never have guessed that would last 5 minutes!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor

Just did this with a rebuilt generator head. The bearing socket for the rotor was worn from a failed bearing. I use Loctite 638

snydes

Staff member

Ray, it sounds like you know all the same tricks I do! Fixin’ junk, all my life!

Warren

Hey guys!
A month or so ago my rear brake caliper was squeaking on the rotor. I thought I may have warped something with the heat but fog noticed my rear wheel spacers were not looking normal. We removed my wheel and noticed the bearings and inner spacer just float in the hub. We centered it and sure enough it fixed the issue....for a few more moto days. The squeak came back this week and sure enough the spacers were not centered again.

I haven't heard anyone with this issue but just wanted to see if someone has had it happened and knows of a fix.
My 2018 Mxr rear caliper just started to squeak a few weeks ago with 1000 miles on it . So what did you fine the problem was. So know what to look for when I remove the rear wheel. image.jpg

snydes

Staff member
IMO I would check to see if there is a circlip in the hub and if the bearing has moved. Our 2018 MXR did not have the circlip while our 2019 did, so it would seem at some point they thought they should start putting them back in.

Reactions: Fod

Fod

Sorry guys, I must have forgot to update the solution. It was indeed a missing circlip. Warp 9 took care of me and I was and still am very happy with their customer service.