Rapid charger: supply with 240v x 20A or 30A?

bking

Ok, I have an EXR and a rapid charger. My understanding is that the rapid charger is 3.3kw (so 240V x 13.75A). I have a 240V x 20A generator, it seems like this generator should allow the maximum charge rate (since 4.8kw > 3.3kw)? I’m confused about why the rapid charger has a 30A plug if it uses less than 20A?

Sorry if this is a stupid question- I’m no EE. I wish there was a manual or some documentation that came with the charger.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It is a NEMA L14-30 plug that is rated at 30A. Alta used it because this is what most 240V generators use. It does not mean that the charger actually uses 30A. Your calculations are correct.

bking

It is a NEMA L14-30 plug that is rated at 30A. Alta used it because this is what most 240V generators use. It does not mean that the charger actually uses 30A. Your calculations are correct.
Perfect, that makes sense. I still wish Alta provided better documentation (though I appreciate that they’re allocating attention the best they can.)

strider

This is just one of those things that will become common knowledge with EVs. Just like "everyone knows" you have to adjust your jetting when you change altitude or a myriad other bits of knowledge that are "common" to ICEs. We will just learn to do the calculations you did above as a natural part of owning an EV.

Top Bottom