Range and Range Comparison

Slomo

Hello, I am new here. I am about to purchase a new 2018 MX. I've spent 2 hours on these forums trying to better understand the average distance other MX owners are getting on the trail. I know that there are many factors that can affect range. Can it really be a 40 mile difference? I'm seeing range reports from 20 miles to 60 on the trail. What can I expect? I weigh 220 and ride around 30 miles/hr.
Another thing that would be nice to know is how does the MX and MXR compare on the trail? Doe the MX get better range despite the improve battery on the MXR (due to higher performance demand of the MXR?
Of there is already a post that covers this, please direct me there.
Thank you

bluefxstc

Riding style and weight makes a big difference. @Rix and @Redwolf were both in Boise with me to ride over the past couple of days (pictures to follow). I have an EX and they both have EXRs. Yesterday we did the exact same ride. I ended up with about 1/3 battery left, Redwolf had about 1/4 battery remaining if I remember correctly, and Rix was about dead after 31 miles of single track/dirt road riding. Rix was the heaviest and also the fastest rider which probably contributed to his increased power usage on the ride.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Ditto above, riding style has a ton to do with the deltas.

I have a MX and have gone 47 miles. Usually 42 is comfortably attainable. If I'm racing, I can use half a charge in 8 miles.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I also noticed that while leisurely trail riding my MXR together with a bunch of MX and EX bikes I was running out of battery way sooner than others.

Need to mention though that the trails were familiar to all but me, so I didn't have the same easy flow going as others did and had to push harder.

But in race conditions the chances are that my MXR will last longer. It produces less heat during hard use and doesn't overheat as fast as the MX/EX.

F451

200 lbs, typical trail rider. I've consistently gotten 40 miles on a full charge, mostly map 2 setting, occasional map 3 for short sections. That is riding down to no bars showing, battery almost completely dead on rides with mixed paved and dirt roads, 20 - 45 mph, relatively mellow riding, mix of hills and flats, with short sections of single track ripping and some dirt road antics of course.

Most of my riding is single track ripping at my friends property, 10 - 15 mile rips, hardly ever get past 1/3 charge used, a good workout though.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I’ve had similar results to @F451 on my MXR. I ‘m 235lbs, but I typically get about 20mi on about 50% battery on mostly trails and dirt roads. Haven’t run it down past 20% yet. I am pretty new to dirt riding, so I am more of a Map1 kinda rider 90% of the time. Easy trails with my kid in tow. I should also note that I typically ride in hilly areas, so half the time I am going up steep hills, but the other half I am going down hills on almost zero throttle or regen. I am sure that makes a big difference when you aren’t using valuable electrons going downhill.

Slomo

Wow! Thank you everyone! This is good info! I am totally content with hopes to get 40+ on a typical trail ride.

Jared

Ditto above, riding style has a ton to do with the deltas.

I have a MX and have gone 47 miles. Usually 42 is comfortably attainable. If I'm racing, I can use half a charge in 8 miles.
My opinion is that riding style is paramount in determining rate of battery consumption. My friend and I have Alta EX bikes and we are similar weight. We had done several rides together and were convinced that my bike just used 1/2 to 2/3 the battery capacity that his used for some reason ...that is until we tried trading bikes for a couple rides and now his bike was using 1/2 to 2/3 amount of charge that my bike was using. Conclusion, riding style is major factor in battery consumption.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Riding style and weight makes a big difference. @Rix and @Redwolf were both in Boise with me to ride over the past couple of days (pictures to follow). I have an EX and they both have EXRs. Yesterday we did the exact same ride. I ended up with about 1/3 battery left, Redwolf had about 1/4 battery remaining if I remember correctly, and Rix was about dead after 31 miles of single track/dirt road riding. Rix was the heaviest and also the fastest rider which probably contributed to his increased power usage on the ride.
No shit we were dead, it took 4.5 hours to charge my bike @ 110 volts after this ride. I am going to experiment with gearing, need to get a few more miles out of a charge. Staying light on the throttle will help as well.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm a faster rider these days (30+ Intermediate).On my MXR I typically will go about half a charge in about 12 minutes of hard moto. I raced 4 hard laps at Glen Helen (video on my youtube) and used 1 bar over half each moto. I just did a 18min+1 lap race series at Cahuilla a few weekends ago and used half a charge per moto.

On my EXR riding tight single track i can go well over an hour, most of the time over an hour and half.

It really depends on the speed of the riding, the skill level, and the conditions. The faster, deeper, sandier, and hotter conditions (plus heavy rider) will drain the battery faster.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
After nearly running dead on our first ride, I was being very conservative on throttle, but I suspect that the changes Rix made with his gearing played a big part in why he used so much more charge than I did on otherwise identical bikes on the same trails.

Reactions: Rix