Rad Shrouds are murder on my knees

Don

Hey Everyone,
I am new to the Alta World, just got an MXR and I'm very impressed. Coming off a 2016 KX450, there are some considerable benefits on this machine. The suspension is way better and the foot pegs are sweet. It is weird to get used to the lack of noise, but it is coming along. I wanted to ask if anyone has done anything to slim down the rad shrouds? I am short and find they are murder on my knees. Are there any options for aftermarket yet to try and suck them into the frame.

snydes

Staff member
Hi Don, welcome to the forum. At this point we have no aftermarket options for the shrouds. Others have also expressed similar concerns about those ribs tearing up their knees. For now we are stuck coming up with our own band aid fixes till Alta or the aftermarket catches up.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. The only time I find those shrouds marginally acceptable is when I am wearing knee braces. Even then, their ( ) bubble shape does not flow with how the knees move.

These ribs are for styling only. I wonder if they are just cut out, would this be better?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Went for my first real ride yesterday on my new MXR. Had a total blast, but the one thing that I did note was that the shrouds did tear up my knees. I think I'm going to have to go with a knee brace of some kind. I couldn't grip the "tank" area with my knees, only the area behind the shrouds. Quite painful, actually. I would say it was the only negative I had about the whole experience.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I too will be ditching the shrouds as soon as I apply some vinyl on the aluminum frame. It's a real pleasure to ride without them. The bike feels narrow and super easy to hold, better than any motorcycle I have ever ridden.

snydes

Staff member
Any interest in a custom frame graphics kit? If we can get a template made up I know who can design us a set.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely.

And I would pay extra for the Adobe Illustrator file too, so that I could take it to the company who designed the rest of my graphics kit.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Any interest in a custom frame graphics kit? If we can get a template made up I know who can design us a set.

This is how I made the fork guard graphics templates for the 52mm conevalves I borrowed from Mark911 for SX Futures. I used multiple pieces of masking tape to cover the fork guard and then traced the outline with a marker, then removed the tape and laid it flat onto a large piece of paper and took measurements. I then sent a picture of it to Blake at FAMMX and he was able to make them perfectly.

So do the same thing for the frame and he'll be able to make the graphics no problem for you.

Butch

Poseur
One could wonder whether the shrouds were ribbed for your own good... :D

I guy I know hates the bodywork as it attacks him.

We all ride differently. We are all shaped differently.
Myself, I am a short dude, cannot touch the ground (all my riding career (?) since I was er, eight?) and ride standing all the time. I let the bike float around under me. The pegs and handgrips and brake levers are my only contact points. Unless I fuck up, then all bets are off.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I guy I know hates the bodywork as it attacks him.

We all ride differently. We are all shaped differently.
Myself, I am a short dude, cannot touch the ground (all my riding career (?) since I was er, eight?) and ride standing all the time. I let the bike float around under me. The pegs and handgrips and brake levers are my only contact points. Unless I fuck up, then all bets are off.
Sounds familiar.

strider

I always ride w/ knee braces and haven't noticed the rad shrouds. I'm 5'9", 32" inseam. Also, I don't do anything crazy - single track and XC racing. Only time I'm on an MX track is on the junior one with my 8 and 5 year olds.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I've been using 3M vinyl on my upper frame for a while. The frame is difficult to cover with a flat sheet, it's just the nature of the shape. Lot's of conforming and one sizable overlap on the top near the key. With braces it only last a couple of races, but with thicker vinyl it would last much longer.