Racing the MXR in muddy conditions

aremean79

Hi guys, I will be racing my MXR for the first time this weekend and was looking forward to put it on the box BUT it has been raining the past week here, back at home.
I am worried about how the MXR will hold up in the mud and I am more worried about the washing part of it.

I dont want it to have to be its last race (there were topics where there were water damage done due to washing and water getting into the connectors etc). I figure that the display can be saved i I taake it off prior to the wash and to not use pressurre washed on the top part of the battery where all the connections are. Anything else to note?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a skid plate? Lots of mud can pack under the motor.

@TCMB371 claims that mud tends to pack around the front sprocket too. But he didn't have a skid plate at that time, I think, so maybe that was a contributing factor.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Yup, i've ridden in super muddy conditions and mud just packs up in the front sprocket area. Its partially a problem even in dry conditions. I don't yet have a skid plate, but imagine that it help minimize mud/dirt packing up in that area. That said, i also think the front sprocket area should have protection out front of it, so literally nothing can enter the area. That's why i started redesigning the left boot guard to include a shield out the front.

snydes

Staff member
I wouldn’t worry about the washing part. Just use common sense with pressure washers. I use a cheap electric pressure washer myself. The pressure isn’t crazy so I’m not blowing water past seals, but it’s enough to get the job done. There have been a few guys, @ElectroBraap and @OneLapper that have rode theirs through deep water as well.

ElectroBraap

I wouldn’t worry about the washing part. Just use common sense with pressure washers. I use a cheap electric pressure washer myself. The pressure isn’t crazy so I’m not blowing water past seals, but it’s enough to get the job done. There have been a few guys, @ElectroBraap and @OneLapper that have rode theirs through deep water as well.

Indeed! I wash my bike with a pressure washer all the time, intelligently... I’ve also submerged the bike in deep water several times. I even went fully under during a crossing a few months back...BUT! I would still exercise caution. I was a lot braver when I could get parts. 😑

-Electro

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
So no SCUBA Alta video in the works anymore?? :cry::p

Just do not blast the pressure washer at wheel seals, fork seals, linkage seals, lower rear vent of the battery, display, electrical connectors, and an O-ring chain. Everything else can be blasted away as much as you want.

Reactions: Rix

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
So no SCUBA Alta video in the works anymore?? :cry::p

Just do not blast the pressure washer at wheel seals, fork seals, linkage seals, lower rear vent of the battery, display, or electrical connectors. Everything else can be blasted away as much as you want.
So, we can pressure wash the ground somewhere near the bike safely then, got it!

F451

So, we can pressure wash the ground somewhere near the bike safely then, got it!

Ha ha! Exactly what I was thinking. I think I will give my electric pressure washer a break for a while until I learn more of the ins and outs of this new fangled lecky bike and go back to the old school hose, bucket, and sponge. And also exercising care with the hose too.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Ha ha! Exactly what I was thinking. I think I will give my electric pressure washer a break for a while until I learn more of the ins and outs of this new fangled lecky bike and go back to the old school hose, bucket, and sponge. And also exercising care with the hose too.
My solution has been to keep it encased in a nice protective casing of mud. All safe and secure.

Matt

E-Rider
I just rode at a track up here in ny today after it rained a bunch. The thing was covered in mud all over. I have power washed it at a self serve car wash several times. I don't blast sections that make me nervous but will spray everything down. Thing does well in the mudd on tracks at least. I have tubles also...

F451

I raced my MXR in mud last year and it did fantastic, no stalling or burning up clutches, or trying to shift with the skis out. Its a huge advantage. Enjoy!

Very interesting.

How did the Alta do with wheel spin and losing energy from wheel spin? Was range an issue for the mud race you did?

I'm trying to figure out how the Alta's will do at the Starvation Ridge 24 hr race out here, it has ~20 mile laps which I think the Alta can do at race pace no problem (average lap time of about an hour), but the mud races out there are brutal and I was worried that the Alta would burn up a lot of energy with wheel spin in the mud if it rains hard/long enough.

Any input on that idea, do you think we would lose a lot of charge with unnecessary wheel spin, or do I have it backwards?

I recall the one mud race I did out there on my KTM 125 smoker, holy cow, I thought for sure I had burned up my clutch and roasted my engine (2nd gear, pinned, fanning the clutch the whole time, paddling along for miles in the dark wondering what the hell I was going out there, that poor bike, Lol). Nope, that little KTM took the beating just fine, I was amazed.

F451

I would run it in either Map 1 or 3. These Maps have a more aggressive traction control than Maps 2 and 4.

This partially addresses my question above, thanks for the clairvoyant reply, Lol.

Ps: when was the last time you got to use the word clairvoyant? Lol.

B37

Very interesting.

How did the Alta do with wheel spin and losing energy from wheel spin? Was range an issue for the mud race you did?

I'm trying to figure out how the Alta's will do at the Starvation Ridge 24 hr race out here, it has ~20 mile laps which I think the Alta can do at race pace no problem (average lap time of about an hour), but the mud races out there are brutal and I was worried that the Alta would burn up a lot of energy with wheel spin in the mud if it rains hard/long enough.

Any input on that idea, do you think we would lose a lot of charge with unnecessary wheel spin, or do I have it backwards?

I recall the one mud race I did out there on my KTM 125 smoker, holy cow, I thought for sure I had burned up my clutch and roasted my engine (2nd gear, pinned, fanning the clutch the whole time, paddling along for miles in the dark wondering what the hell I was going out there, that poor bike, Lol). Nope, that little KTM took the beating just fine, I was amazed.

Definitely used more juice when the mud was really deep in practice early in the morning, but when it was just slick and rutted it may have actually been less because we were going slower and easier on it.

F451

Definitely used more juice when the mud was really deep in practice early in the morning, but when it was just slick and rutted it may have actually been less because we were going slower and easier on it.

I see, makes sense, thanks! And yes, I'm more concerned about the deep mud which makes everyone miserable, destroys bikes, and kills lap times.

I guess we will just have to see, hopefully it will not rain and it will be a non-issue. Myself and bunch of my also older riding buddies have basically sworn off mud races, as in, if the forecast says heavy rain, we're staying home. Fair weather off-road racers, yes, we will own that, Lol.

Matt

E-Rider
The NE 24hr is a shorter lap. Last year it was 11. I was hoping we would be able to do 2 laps at a time but am skeptical at this point that at race pace in mud we will be able to. I am hoping, however. We will see in practice beforehand how far we can get.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
The NE 24hr is a shorter lap. Last year it was 11. I was hoping we would be able to do 2 laps at a time but am skeptical at this point that at race pace in mud we will be able to. I am hoping, however. We will see in practice beforehand how far we can get.
The teams out west will be interested to hear what your thoughts are on range after your race.

privateer703

AOF Addict
So we will be able to get some runs on the actual course on Friday? That would be really helpful.