Putting a dollar amount on a charge

snydes

Staff member
I was hoping you guys could help me with whatever formula would be needed to put a dollar amount on a charge when plugged into an electric service. I think until these become a common thing and to the point that tracks install dedicated charging stations (if that ever does happen), there may be opportunities to plug into a track owners power if available and it would only be appropriate to compensate the guy for what you are using. I’m showing my ignorance here but I don’t know how to calculate that.

Thanks
Steve

rayivers

I'd say a couple/few bucks for a full Alta charge would be more than enough, but don't forget the 'goodwill factor' involved. Far better that the track owner sees providing power as a good (and possibly profitable) thing rather than just a financial-drain headache, often followed by no power at all. :(

Where I live (CT), electricity is about $0.20 per kWh delivered, so around here I think $0.50/kWh would be a more than sufficient donation under normal circumstances. It helps to know exactly what the going rate is, as electric bills are often intentionally cryptic and IME few people know exactly what they're paying at any given point in time.

Calculating kWh from an electric bill should be as simple as dividing the total monthly billing amount by the number of kWh used that month, but in my bill I have to hunt around a bit to find the kWh figure (mine's referred to simply as 'USAGE', with a number below) with the total amount split into 'supply' and 'delivery' costs to complicate things on the price side as well. My bill contains 9 separate charges, two subtotals, and one final amount.

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps there are also some small inefficiencies involved, but I do not have a practical experience to estimate them. We are all learning how to switch from fueling up our bikes to charging them.

Top Bottom