Protected Throttle Idea

Mark911

Here's an idea I'm pursuing. Essentially I'm creating a "remote" throttle sensor. This works to both protect the Halls Effect sensor (inside the throttle) and allows for custom "turn rates" depending on the ratio between the two standard cable throttles needed for the conversion. As shown, by trimming the "tube" of the SLOW cable throttle and the stock Alta throttle both tubes can be spliced together along with the two housings making it a single unit. Then simply connect the two std throttles with a cable, done. This mod would work regardless of the type of throttle on your Alta.

I bought a Motion Pro "Vortex" (Master/Fast), a "CR Pro" (Slave/Slow) and a cable for about $50 on Amazon. I can't see the actual tube/housing mod taking more than 30 minutes. Finding a suitable location and placing it there will be the only real challenge. I suspect theirs's space above the battery.

Stay tuned. Sorry about the politically incorrect references.

throttle.png

privateer703

AOF Addict
It should be possible to measure the voltage signals being sent from the throttle to the ECM. Once you have that info, you can take something like this potentiometer based throttle and create a separate circuit (simple arduino or rasberrypi) to then re-create the voltage signals. Then you would be able to tune the maps. There may be some signal sent to the ECM by the throttle that may make this a little more difficult than it sounds, but re-creating the voltage signal using a different throttle is very easy to accomplish.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
A Hall Effect sensor produces a digital frequency signal, not an analog voltage (or is it not the case with slow moving magnets??). It is probably much less noisy too, which is a very good thing if you have 50hp.

Mark911

It should be possible to measure the voltage signals being sent from the throttle to the ECM. Once you have that info, you can take something like this potentiometer based throttle and create a separate circuit (simple arduino or rasberrypi) to then re-create the voltage signals. Then you would be able to tune the maps. There may be some signal sent to the ECM by the throttle that may make this a little more difficult than it sounds, but re-creating the voltage signal using a different throttle is very easy to accomplish.

For sure very doable. However, the idea advanced is a simple mechanical solution that can be done today without further knowledge. In fact, one could profile the "cams" on one or both conventional throttles to make the turn rate variable (non-linier) similar to software.

I like mechanical solutions . . . . If you're a hammer, everything looks like nails!

AltaWest

Forum's Sponsor
We sell the old style Domino hall throttle here at work. I have seen some very first generation Alta's use this throttle, and it has a short throw also. I wonder if this is an option for the early bikes.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I’m intrigued by this idea.
Cant recall were I saw it but one of the budget Ebicycle setup build had a conventional throttle cable actuated fitted with cable leading inside frame to the standard Hall sensor

I dont find this part in danger of becoming damaged in a crash if it does I most likely have bigger issues
but I do find the advantages of tuning throttle tube ramps & water ingress of sensor inside frame advantageous

AltaWest

Forum's Sponsor
We converted a YZ250 to electric a couple of years back for a shop project. Turned out super fun to ride, but we did use a cable based throttle, with a throttle arm TPS (EV West Billet Aluminum Throttle Potentiometer, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits) that we manufacture. It sucked. The cable has a 'sticky' feel to it that hall throttles don't have. We eventually swapped it out for an electric Domino throttle. Much better! Might be easier to use an electric throttle, and massage the voltage levels to get the performance you are looking for. Just wanted to share our story, as there are probably few people that have actually tried this before.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
We converted a YZ250 to electric a couple of years back for a shop project. Turned out super fun to ride, but we did use a cable based throttle, with a throttle arm TPS (EV West Billet Aluminum Throttle Potentiometer, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits) that we manufacture. It sucked. The cable has a 'sticky' feel to it that hall throttles don't have. We eventually swapped it out for an electric Domino throttle. Much better! Might be easier to use an electric throttle, and massage the voltage levels to get the performance you are looking for. Just wanted to share our story, as there are probably few people that have actually tried this before.
sounds like expected results - good input

NameWithheld

We sell the old style Domino hall throttle here at work. I have seen some very first generation Alta's use this throttle, and it has a short throw also. I wonder if this is an option for the early bikes.

IIRC, the domino throttle was a single Hall effect sensor with no off position switch. Zero redundancy in your throttle is a very bad thing.

Mark911

I completed my relocated throttle assembly on the 17 today. Works great, just a tad quicker than the "fast" Alta throttle. The original halls effect components are nestled quite nicely inside the frame and well protected. I like the KTM way of routing the cable but I could have done it practically any way. With both the throttle and dash moved to safer locations I'm not nearly as worried about having replacements on hand.

IMG_3052.JPG

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I completed my relocated throttle assembly on the 17 today. Works great, just a tad quicker than the "fast" Alta throttle. The original halls effect components are nestled quite nicely inside the frame and well protected. I like the KTM way of routing the cable but I could have done it practically any way. With both the throttle and dash moved to safer locations I'm not nearly as worried about having replacements on hand.

View attachment 2719
Plus now you just added the ability to install a throttle cam. Tuning twist rate is practically unlimited now. Impressive.