Preferred Chain Lube

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Thought I’d ask the forum members what their preferred chain lube is. I’ve never really found a good one that didn’t fling crap all over or didn’t attract more dirt than they displaced.

So what are your favorite products and techniques for applying (tips and timing)?

Reactions: Rix

rayivers

On the Alta, I think I'm going back to the Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube I used for years on my ICE bikes (it dries into a whitish semi-adhesive grease & just stays in place). The Maxima synthetic I'm using on the Alta now collects into giant black blobs under the front sprocket, then falls off during washing and gets tracked onto my carpet (never had this happen with any of my other bikes). I prop the Alta up under the swingarm against the kickstand, then spray from the RH bike side across the front of the tire.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Maxima chain wax on my o-ring chain. Works well in dusty conditions without building up dirt, and generally seems to work under most conditions I ride in.

Also easy to clean and maintain.

snydes

Staff member
X2 on the Bel-Ray Super Clean. And definitely o-ring chains all the way. Standard roller chains sound forever dry on an Alta.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I use the same Lucas oil synthetic gear oil that goes in our Alta gearboxes as chain lubes. Works fantastically. Just a light coat.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
On the Alta, I think I'm going back to the Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube I used for years on my ICE bikes (it dries into a whitish semi-adhesive grease & just stays in place). The Maxima synthetic I'm using on the Alta now collects into giant black blobs under the front sprocket, then falls off during washing and gets tracked onto my carpet (never had this happen with any of my other bikes). I prop the Alta up under the swingarm against the kickstand, then spray from the RH bike side across the front of the tire.

Yeah, I tried the Maxima Clear Synthetic on my son’s bike, and it made a big, goopy, black mess and stained my driveway. How does a clear lubricant make black goo on a fresh, clean chain? It also flung all over the place even though I wiped it down and cleaned as much as I could off. I am gonna try something else.

rayivers

Yeah, I tried the Maxima Clear Synthetic on my son’s bike, and it made a big, goopy, black mess and stained my driveway. How does a clear lubricant make black goo on a fresh, clean chain? It also flung all over the place even though I wiped it down and cleaned as much as I could off. I am gonna try something else.

+1 on everything. I'd clean dozens of deposits off my driveway w/degreaser and wire brush, then walk out to the mailbox & bring some I missed back into the house. No more.

Ultratoad

Maxima chain wax on my o-ring chain. Works well in dusty conditions without building up dirt, and generally seems to work under most conditions I ride in.

Agreed.... I use this product on my road bikes as well.... Works very well and does not fling off....

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire

+1, I swear by Maxima Chain lube.

Top Bottom