Power Upgrade on the Varg

Anybody has done the upgrade to 80hp post purchase and acquisition of the bike

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Theo

Although I don't know much about electronics, I think that trying to hack the Varg would be a very bad idea and I will tell you why by reporting to you a story a marshall told me in a supermoto/sportbikes track:
One day a customer of the track entered it riding his 1000cc sportsbike whose throttle had a ride by wire system. Someone had modified the electronics of the motorcycle, I think the ECU, to somehow make it faster and, despite the fact that inititally the bike looked like it was working fine, at the end of a straightaway it just went straight against the barriers and it turned out that the throttle stayed 100% open despite the fact that the rider turned the throttle tube on the handlebar to the closed position. The rider died because of the accident.
Now, I don't know whether the story is true or maybe the marshall was simply discouraging people from doing certain things, but I surely don't want to try anything like that with my vehicles.
BTW I tried to press the power button of the Varg while applying throttle and the bike slowed down, so if I will ever end up in a whisky throttle situation or if the throttle is locked open I think I will personally try that; do the same at your risk, though, because as far as I know this is not an approved procedure.

Theo

I've stuck throttles on ye olde carb'd bikes too. No fly by wire required. Fix was the same, clutch then kill switch?

That will surely work with an ICE bike with a carburator: I get that the clutch disengages the engine mechanically and, thanks to the kill switch, the spark plug won't ignite any more fuel. Maybe it would have worked with the sportsbike of my example but the rider panicked.
On an electric bike without a clutch and with a kill switch that is an electronic control, maybe not, especially if the cause is a software malfunction. Even if the kill switch worked, since nobody rides keeping the thumb on the on/of button, by the time the rider realizes what's happening and tries that, he could have already ended up into the bleachers.

Kurlon

This is one area Stark will HAVE to address, there needs to be a positive, confirmed, no questions, no ifs, ands or buts kill button that is obvious. If you look at rules for electric bikes in other formats they typically also mandate a positive battery disconnect that is obvious and accessible without tools.

On the flip side, one positive for a runaway Stark, it just can't reach the speeds a full on 1000cc superbike can at the moment. :D

Swank171

Just wait until the government gets involved and our wireless 4g fancy bikes wont work unless its on a designated space haha. No free riding for us.

Swank171

Yep. So crazy once we are fully “electric” these connected devices can be simply deactivated….i love the innovation but definitely see the possible downsides to some of the “tech”

mike61

Future is here.
I suppose that most modern vehicles are "online" and prepared for remote ON/OFF and more.

Top Bottom