OX-Hydra brake LHRB

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. It might work. I see the attractiveness of an independent hydraulic system, especially for the ease of installation. I just do not like the bicycle master cylinder and the thin hydraulic line.

Fourth_Floor

I just got my Alta MX yesterday and got to play around on it a little bit. The bike is absolutely perfect and the LHRB is the only mod I really see myself doing to it. I did some searching on the forums and seen a couple different ways to do this, just want to be sure I go the best route.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
As stated before, if you keep the pedal and install the LHRB, make sure to glue/weld that little plastic window on the RR master.
That applies only when you do not install the Clake insert seal correctly. But if you install it correctly then there is no problem.

And it does not apply to the OX-Hydra LHRB because it applies not a hydraulic but mechanical pressure on the rear master cylinder piston, just like the stock rear brake pedal, so the plastic window is not under any pressure.

Jared

I just got my Alta MX yesterday and got to play around on it a little bit. The bike is absolutely perfect and the LHRB is the only mod I really see myself doing to it. I did some searching on the forums and seen a couple different ways to do this, just want to be sure I go the best route.
I put the LHRB on my EX and ditched the brake pedal. I was comfortable doing this since I did the same thing to my CR250 when I installed a Rekluse clutch on it. I used parts off ebay designed for some kind of Chinese quad rear brake system because they were cheap. The master cylinder has a brake light switch and a lock lever for parking brake feature. On the Alta I had to modify the bend at the caliper fitting so the hose could follow the original routing and lie in the swing arm holder/bracket. I haven’t had any function/durability issues, but I was riding the CR250 at Manastash Ridge in the “Moonrocks” area and crashed and broke the master cylinder and had to ride all the way back to truck with only front brake...ohh the fun that was.

Motophyllic

I never installed my clake adapter and rear pedal because I need a different length hose to make it work. Does anyone know where to get that hose?

Fourth_Floor

Ordered this OX-Hydra LHRB kit, going to see how well it works. It's dead ass winter here so I won't get to do any riding with it until Spring, but I'll post some pics of it installed once I get it in.

Fourth_Floor

I did! It feels awesome but it's winter here so I haven't gotten to ride with it yet to determine how well it really works. The feel I'm getting at the handelbars though, seems like you'll be able to lock the rear up with one finger. I have high hopes for it but it's going to be another month and a half to 2 months before winter starts to loosen it's grip here.

synics

Update! I got a few rides in and this LHRB works awesome!! So good, in fact, that I eliminated (cut off) the rear brake pedal, leaving only the section needed for this setup. Very happy with this upgrade!!
I used the newest version of the ox break hydro pro on my 2017 KTM xcf with rekluse and it works pretty well. I actually use it in conjunction with the foot break because sometimes when coming around really fast turns it's just easier to slide around the turn using the foot break than the handbrake. The ox brake will lock up the wheel but I find it's better for lighter modulation in tight trails where you don't want the wheel to lock up. But coming around turns and using the rear real to steer just feels better with the foot brake for me. However I was really curious to see if this new version would work with my Alta and it sounds like it does so I'm going to try that and I still like to keep that foot brake. Plus with the ox break you don't have to bleed anything which is great!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I actually use it in conjunction with the foot break because sometimes when coming around really fast turns it's just easier to slide around the turn using the foot break than the handbrake. The ox brake will lock up the wheel but I find it's better for lighter modulation in tight trails where you don't want the wheel to lock up. But coming around turns and using the rear real to steer just feels better with the foot brake for me.
This is a very good point. This system works in series with the stock rear brake, so you should be easily able to use one, of the other, or both without losing the left hand brake lever feel or the brake pedal feel.