Our own Alta software/firmware team -- Join in

bluefxstc

I think the key issue is what software can we use, or develop, to both analyze, modify, or update the Altas without access to Alta's server. From my understanding, to replace the screen, and probably other parts, you need the Alta computer and connection to the Alta server. If Alta is no more, then what is the value of the Alta software? Can we use it without the Alta server? If not, what can we use to get around the lack of the Alta server.

I love this bike. It would suck to have it permanently disabled because of a part I couldn't properly match up to the bike.

datadog

If there are no new firmware updates and the laptop had downloaded the most recent version, that version is present on the laptop without connection to the cloud. If you replace a display or an ACM or a DCCP, etc., the laptop will communicate with the CAN bus and install proper firmware without any need to connect with the Alta server.

bluefxstc

If there are no new firmware updates and the laptop had downloaded the most recent version, that version is present on the laptop without connection to the cloud. If you replace a display or an ACM or a DCCP, etc., the laptop will communicate with the CAN bus and install proper firmware without any need to connect with the Alta server.
Awesome, thanks.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
This means that, in theory at least, one could reverse engineer and source all the components required to make our own dashes from scratch. Good news.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It is not okay yet to start hacking the software/firmware -- it is still illegal -- but I wonder what can we start doing to fix the batteries and broken displays? Fixing the broken parts is all legal now, since Alta is unable to do anything about it.

Fixing the battery is a mechanical challenge. I am sure @snydes already has a list of possible wire re-attaching methods.

Does anyone know who from (former) Alta employees to contact who would help with the display?

If you are reading this and can help fix a broken display -- please come out. PM or email me at admin at altaownersforum.com if you want to remain anonymous.

snydes

Staff member
I agree, hacking firmware isn't necessary aside from the whole legality issue. Repairing these bikes falls into the motor vehicle owners right to repair act and we NEED to be able to do at least that.

Before I tear this battery apart I need to first verify the problem, which requires that Alta laptop. My dealer doesn't want anything to do with my situation as they didn't even get paid for the firmware update they just did on the bike, so I'm on my own.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
It is not okay yet to start hacking the software/firmware -- it is still illegal -- but I wonder what can we start doing to fix the batteries and broken displays? Fixing the broken parts is all legal now, since Alta is unable to do anything about it.

Fixing the battery is a mechanical challenge. I am sure @snydes already has a list of possible wire re-attaching methods.

Does anyone know who from (former) Alta employees to contact who would help with the display?

If you are reading this and can help fix a broken display -- please come out. PM or email me at admin at altaownersforum.com if you want to remain anonymous.
There are various companies that will reverse engineer and re manufacturer PCBs so we could at least look into what it might cost to have that done.

snydes

Staff member
Are you sure about the need for a laptop? I thought you'd just take the battery apart, like @Mark911 did, and see a loose wire. :unsure:
I’ve been told there would be some confirming data in the diagnostics. I don’t know exactly what the diagnostics will show, but I’d like to be 100% sure before I tear in. If it were completely inoperable and I was wanting to use it I would just go for it.

Additionally I believe the laptop would have to be used to clear the code once repaired, although I might be wrong about that.

datadog

Once again, please realize that 350v can kill you. Please leave battery disassembly to an experienced technician. And also realize that the repair for what causes code 36 is not going to be easily accomplished properly (i.e. a lasting repair) in most garages. If not properly done code 36 will just reappear. And yes, the laptop would be needed to clear the code.

Scooter584

Damn!! Can't they just tell us what's going on over there in SF! I'm on the verge of selling my new favorite bike and going back to the gas hog! Such a great thing....if we can't work on them or get parts or have the programmers help us,
it's a time bomb

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Damn!! Can't they just tell us what's going on over there in SF! I'm on the verge of selling my new favorite bike and going back to the gas hog! Such a great thing....if we can't work on them or get parts or have the programmers help us,
it's a time bomb
I operate under the belief that we will have the help we need eventually. Whether it comes from Alta directly, or some of the people who were there, remains to be seen.

For those who are not operational right now, this really sucks and I get it. My biggest fear right now is crashing and damaging something irreparably. It's a risk I'm willing to take, because I don't ever want to look back and regret selling a bike I can no longer buy, even though it's well supported by the community.