One-man battery removal setup

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My one-man battery removal setup:

IMG_20190311_2252485.jpg

Hooked up two tie-down straps up to the garage door rail to keep the bike upright. One strap to the handlebar to keep it from turning to one side.
  • 8 bolts to remove the skidframe. All are 8mm Allen.
  • 3 bolts to remove the battery. All are 8mm Allen.
  • Disconnect two battery connectors, no need to remove the seat or shrouds, just use two screwdrivers to pop and pry.
  • Sit on the floor, lift the battery with the knees just enough to unhook the hooks that are holding it suspended, move it forward, then lower it.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Don't think that SM is going to go very far without the HV and LV cables plugged into the battery. :LOL:

Mark911

Cal/OSHA won't allow anyone in a workplace to carry more than 25 lbs (or something ridicules) without assistance. It's crazy. I've done my pack several ways but always use a loose strap wrapped around the front of the pack to keep it from accidently falling forward.

Trialsman

Watched the battery removal again. It is for the A pack. The R pack has a different set of connectors. So as not to break anything , what is the sequence?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the battery removal again. It is for the A pack. The R pack has a different set of connectors. So as not to break anything , what is the sequence?
The orange connector on the right side is the same, I think. The left side connector on the MXR is square. You need to pry and pull the tab on the left side of that left connector with one flat screwdriver and lift the connector with another flat screwdriver.

Trialsman

The high voltage is different. There is a red lock slide to lift, no black tab to push, and the orange tab to press seems not to want to clear the gate as in something is blocking it.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The high voltage is different. There is a red lock slide to lift, no black tab to push, and the orange tab to press seems not to want to clear the gate as in something is blocking it.
You lift the red slider, then press the orange tab at the top of the connector and pry the connector to go up. It will go up and stop. Then you press the orange tab in the middle of the connector and pry the connector to go up again.