Northeast Alta Rally

snydes

Staff member
I am very sad to announce that I will be stuck hauling chemicals that weekend. I really wanted to go, but being self employed there isn't anyone else to cover for me when they need both of my trucks. I only work about 100 days a year, and not many weekends..... For what it's worth, anyone can come ride an Alta at my track anytime. No cost but I might need help watering. I also have a very big and safe peewee/pitbike track. The big track jumps should be done by July. Edinboro, PA which is near Erie, PA. Hillside riding club is only 15 minutes away too.

I’m down with that! Happy to help with track maintenance too!

Matt

E-Rider
I am very sad to announce that I will be stuck hauling chemicals that weekend. I really wanted to go, but being self employed there isn't anyone else to cover for me when they need both of my trucks. I only work about 100 days a year, and not many weekends..... For what it's worth, anyone can come ride an Alta at my track anytime. No cost but I might need help watering. I also have a very big and safe peewee/pitbike track. The big track jumps should be done by July. Edinboro, PA which is near Erie, PA. Hillside riding club is only 15 minutes away too.
NorthEast Alta Rally Round 2?!

Mikec265

NorthEast Alta Rally Round 2?!
The problem with that would be my unpredictable work schedule. Not to mention Erie PA weather, even in the summer. My track is in a flat field so basically it's a turn track/vet SX track/ peewee sx track. Maybe we could work something out once the big bike track is finished. I pretty much have to wait for my main riding buddies job and weather to allow time to rent a dozer again. Everyone would need generators, or 110 chargers.... Unless any electricians want to lend a hand.
It could happen... I gotta do some thinking and finish the track first.

snydes

Staff member
The problem with that would be my unpredictable work schedule. Not to mention Erie PA weather, even in the summer. My track is in a flat field so basically it's a turn track/vet SX track/ peewee sx track. Maybe we could work something out once the big bike track is finished. I pretty much have to wait for my main riding buddies job and weather to allow time to rent a dozer again. Everyone would need generators, or 110 chargers.... Unless any electricians want to lend a hand.
It could happen... I gotta do some thinking and finish the track first.

Definitely keep it in mind. I’d come up!

snydes

Staff member

photon

@snydes -- I read you ran into code 36, did you get this resolved? if so should i worry if I'm buying new from a dealer? i only see 2018's not sure if these new bikes ever had the firmware update! plz advise. thank you!

snydes

Staff member
The short answer is we still don’t have a proven solution for code 36 batteries.

Here are the things to keep in mind;
- All but roughly the last 50 or so 2018’s built are suspect.
- New 2018’s in the affected range are a risky proposition.
- Current firmware doesn’t mean you are in the clear unless the battery was cycled a time or two.

The good news is this problem SO FAR has been relatively rare, at least with our membership here. The potential is there though, and you definitely don’t want to be stuck with one, so just cover all your bases before committing.

There is a ton of additional discussion in a few other threads including this one.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I'd like to host a ride in NE Connecticut this summer at Pachaug State Forest Pachaug State Forest

They have camping, now by online registration only, DEEP: Campground Reservation Service - CT State Parks and Forests

Bikes need to be street legal and riders must have a motorcycle license. BUT, CT considers all electric motorcycles to be scooters (https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/rpt/pdf/2015-R-0253.pdf)! Scooters do not need to be registered, hence, you can ride at Pachaug with no plates/registration on an Alta, but you must have a M/C license or learners permit (per DEEP officers at Pachaug). The no plate thing has been discussed at length with the head DEEP officer at Pachaug and all agreed it's not an issue, and are thrilled that electric (quiet) bikes are on the scene. Some trails are shared with hikers, bikers, horses, etc., so the less noise the better.

Let me know if there is any interest.

snydes

Staff member
I'd like to host a ride in NE Connecticut this summer at Pachaug State Forest Pachaug State Forest

They have camping, now by online registration only, DEEP: Campground Reservation Service - CT State Parks and Forests

Bikes need to be street legal and riders must have a motorcycle license. BUT, CT considers all electric motorcycles to be scooters (https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/rpt/pdf/2015-R-0253.pdf)! Scooters do not need to be registered, hence, you can ride at Pachaug with no plates/registration on an Alta, but you must have a M/C license or learners permit (per DEEP officers at Pachaug). The no plate thing has been discussed at length with the head DEEP officer at Pachaug and all agreed it's not an issue, and are thrilled that electric (quiet) bikes are on the scene. Some trails are shared with hikers, bikers, horses, etc., so the less noise the better.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Interested. Do the bikes need any specific lighting? Do you need proof of insurance or any other paperwork in case of being stopped?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Interested. Do the bikes need any specific lighting? Do you need proof of insurance or any other paperwork in case of being stopped?

Sweet!

No insurance, lights or blinkers required for scooters, but I do recommend them because they reduce the chances of being pulled over. Pachaug's trail system is linked by public roads and occasionally State Police will hang out on a section. I've been pulled over on my Alta (not while riding at Pachaug) and after a lengthy break on the side of the road, the cop handed back my copy of the CT Scooter law and asked a few questions about the bike, told me to get lights and that was it.

I carry a copy of the Scooter Law on me. I never ride like an idiot on the road (SM loaner was an exception, *ahem*), I have a M/C license, and I honestly feel most cops have better things to do than risk ending up in court if I challenge a ticket, basically it comes down to the definition of "Scooter". I even tried to register the MX with the DMV, they said "Its a scooter, can't register it". Not to say I wont have an issue, but for now it's a tax loophole in CT that has yet to be filled in.

Matt

E-Rider
Hello all. I am just checking in to see who all is currently planning to come next weekend. Current weather shows partly sunny, no rain and mid 60s. I will be doing a bit of track maintenance this sunday and will clear out spots for campers or buses. I have some information on directions and such I will create a private message to those coming or planning to come to detail more specific information. I am going to try and reach out to tall pines and see if they will open one of the sections of last years course for us also.Thanks-Matt

Bloak

Weekend was great
Huge thanks @snydes for ...well...doing most, if not all of the work with the batteries.
Another huge thanks @Matt for hosting and prepping his mx track.
Riding Tall Pines was interesting. I usually stick to mx and fair weather riding, so riding trails and with the wet conditions, was outside my comfort zone but was still good.

snydes

Staff member
One negative to riding with a group of Altas that I "thought" of. Say hypothetically you should be the slowest in a group of say... 5 Altas. Lets say you are riding in trail system and you come to a fork in the road and you don't know which way the rest of the group went... you stop to listen but guess what? You can't hear which way they went. Of course this is just hypothetical, not like it happened to me or anything... ;)

:muutt: