No Trip Meter? (A cell phone mount option)

F451

Hey guys, is there no trip meter function on the Alta's? The display on my '18 MXR does not seem to have that capability, and I did not see anything about a trip meter in the manuals.

Seems very odd that that function would not be there, I was actually expecting 2 trip meters which seems pretty standard on just about every vehicle with a speedo nowadays.

Please tell me I am a knucklehead and that it is right in front of me on the bike. Otherwise I'm going to have to resort to taking pics of my mileage before I leave the house, or worse, jotting it down on a sticky and putting it in my pocket. Really? Thanks. -Ed

snydes

Staff member
You’re not the first person that thought it was odd they didn’t include that feature. They probably would have added it eventually, but....

F451

Yes, I'm way behind the curve just having bought my MXR, lots to learn. Trying to use the search function as much as I can, but on this one I just had to confirm.

It's not a biggie at all, just odd. Going on a mellow dirt road ride tomorrow morning where I'm pretty sure I'll be using every electron in my batts. Plan is to keep an eye on the display and turn around just before 1/2 charge is left (if we have not hit the turn around point by then). Can't carry an extra quart of electrons in my backpack unfortunately. What's up with that?! Lol

snydes

Staff member
No worries, search functions don't always find what you are looking for. We will try and get you up to speed!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I rather prefer the simplicity of the display unit, it just does what it needs to, and nothing else. No need to spend the first week of ownership doing pointless customizations with the dash, so we can focus on the important things. Suspension and tires.

Sumik

I don't have any display on my KTM and I can live with it. Also my early 2017 ALTA MX doesn't have an hour meeter which I would like to have..

Bloak

I'm sure distance is recorded in MT. Cycle key at start will start a new file, when key is turned off, file ends. Can review distance through MT after downloading file... bit of a pain and is not instantaneous.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Someone should make a cell phone holder to be placed over the standard screen. The standard screen is not very useful anyway. But with a cell phone you can find an app to track your trip, speed, display the map or directions, heart rate with a chest strap, or play music.

F451

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm all set for tracking mileage, got the usual assortment of gps', bicycle speedo's, Trail Tech Vapor, cell phone, etc, was just surprised such a simple, basic function wasn't included. I was hoping I could track trip mileage without using an additional unit of whatever type. Less is more.