Newb here -- Making a charging adapter

1800bigk

Hey new mx owner here. Been wanting one for long time finally picked one up. Two quick questions

1. does anyone know how many of these bikes Alta produced over the years? With cars there are sites that track how many models of a car are made somehow, I’m just curious if that info exists for these.

2. The 220 outlets in my house all have 3 prongs (L630p plugs) but the charger that came with my bike has 4 prongs. Is there a conversion cord or should I get electrician to swap out my outlets? Can I change the plug on charger? Thanks in advance

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Welcome 1800bigk!

1000 bikes were made, give or take. We don't really have an exact number of how many were purchased by customers, but thats the number.

And "Yes" to your second set of questions. All are options. Many of us have made adapters. If you're not 100% positive on how to do that, hire an electrician to be safe.

Enjoy the bike and post some pictures of your adventures!

1800bigk

Ok so the 220 in my garage with the 3 prong plug does not have the white wire ran needed to convert my existing plug to the 4 prong that the charger has. Can someone be so kind and link me to the proper adapter so I can plug this charger into my wall. Greatly appreciated

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You do sound like a newb when you ask electrical questions. That's okay, many of us were where you are. Everyone in-the-know hesitates to help electrical newbies, not wanting to be responsible for them burning their bikes, houses, or killing themselves. We would much rather have you alive on this forum asking newb questions.

You have to do your own education. Here is a place to start:

240v female to 110v male adapter

The charger does not use all of its four prongs. The one not used is Neutral. It is not the same as Ground.

My guess is, deceptively colored wires aside, that your garage 240V outlet does not have Ground. You have to have a Ground. I found a Ground wire inside the outlet when I opened my dryer's old-style 3-prong outlet. I converted it to the newer style with 4 prongs.