New PRP Steering Damper

evh1

I just read an article in ThumperTalk about Precision Racing Products new damper. They have been being used by KTM and Husky Racing and many ATV racers, but I'd not heard about them. Anyone here had any experience with them? The product sounds great and the old Scott's Stabilizer is a bit long in the tooth with no updates in years.
Video:

In the forum link...
The Evolution of the Motorcycle Steering Stabilizer?

the owner talks about a "build sheet" for bikes not yet on their product line that one can fill in:
George @ Precision Racing
Posted Friday at 01:41 PM
I'm sure we will build for the large enduro and adventure bikes. If you would like to move it up in the Q, please fill out our build request form on our website. Here is a link.
Steering Stabilizer Build Request

I'm wondering if they might do a build for the Alta's we have. I know without a swap to KTM steering pieces, its not possible on the Alta main frame piece up at the bearing neck. Maybe they can come up with a fitment if a number of us asked? Thoughts?

1583171868197.png

Motophyllic

Why won’t it fit the Alta? Is it something that can be machined out or adjusted? I really like it and need a damper.

Motophyllic

I called the manufacturer and they said the steering damper is the same for all units just the mounting clamp is different for specific bikes. I wonder how hard it would be for a machinist to make me the correct clamp to fit the Alta. What do you think? I don’t want to drill my beautiful bike😬

leeo45

Geezer in denial
gprix1 machined a new steering stem nut to adapt an Öhlins damper a couple of years ago. Here's the link:

Ohlins steering damper fits nicely

I haven't owned an Öhlins damper on a dirt bike but that may be the way to go. It is the only ALTA installation I know about.

The challenge with the ALTA frame is there is not much of a clamping surface for the post mount with the design of the PRP and Scotts dampers. In the olden days we used to weld the posts on KTM frames, but that was steel and steel. BRP had stated they were planning to make an ALTA mount for a Scotts damper, however that idea crashed when ALTA shut down.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
An adapter is doable, I think, but I am afraid I would have to cut a lot of the foam off of my MX/MXR bar pad/display mount, making the display more vulnerable to damage. MX/MXR owners won't like it.

I would investigate Ohlins instead.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Have you guys tried overtightening your steering stem nut? I started doing it about five years ago, and after that, I can't ride with a loose steering stem nut anymore. Try it, it might be enough for you.

Motophyllic

I was talking to the guys over at flexx bars and they sent me this cool pic of an Alta they did. I was thinking to put the damper underneath the flex bars and the display not like they have it on top but in between the bar mounts and the crossbar. 47C88B7E-441D-45F2-A7AA-023E71231359.jpeg

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Have you guys tried overtightening your steering stem nut? I started doing it about five years ago, and after that, I can't ride with a loose steering stem nut anymore. Try it, it might be enough for you.

I tried it for part of a day after reading some of the earlier posts here. I reset it in the afternoon. I understand how and why it can be a reasonable substitute on a MX track, however it doesn't do what I want on tight singletrack. The idea of a good damper in the woods is that it has very adjustable low speed damping to help keep things on course with minimal extra rider effort down the trail, plus it greatly reduces deflections on obstacles and then totally saves your bacon if your handlebars hit a tree at high speed. The friction of a tight stem nut doesn't give you that designed variability between low speed and high speed deflections. Not having a steering damper is one of only two downsides of the ALTA compared to my KTM. (the other of course is range)

Motophyllic

I’ve never ridden a damper, but would like to give it a try. It sounds like just what I’m missing on my bike.

evh1

I tried it for part of a day after reading some of the earlier posts here. I reset it in the afternoon. I understand how and why it can be a reasonable substitute on a MX track, however it doesn't do what I want ....
To me, the dual dampening of the Scotts stabilization is key. My Ohlins on my new 790R is only ok for low key hits. Just like on my road race bikes. I added a Scott’s on the 790. The high speed damping( has nothing to do with mph speeds) but the violent fast bangs from rocks, roots or trees make Scott’s n PRP the best. As I ride my Alta more n more I’m going to have to weld or bolt or something a Scott’s neck frame modded somehow. I may have to pull the steering stem and races n bearings out to weld but it’s just that important to me in the woods. Philip if you post an inquiry on who here would pay and a guesstimate on cost on your idea? Any other thoughts?

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Correct. High speed and low speed are defined by the angular speed that the handlebars are turning. The other advantage of the Scotts offroad damper design when riding in the woods (vs. MX) is that it has reduced resistance returning to center in the low speed damping. (BTW, the Scotts road/roadracing version is not valved this way) After four to six hours in an enduro you have saved a lot of effort. And having the damper lets you ride with a looser grip on the handlebars so for me it is a notable difference in fatigue level by the end of a race or long ride. Plus it may have helped me avoid a crash or two as well. :muutt:

All that said, if something moves forward on an adapter (and if it will work with bar risers), I'm in for at least one and probably two.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Has anyone ridden with a Showa/Honda/Ride Engineering damper? I looked at this a while back thinking it might be easier to modify or build a mount for this than a Scotts damper. It seems to be mostly targeted for MX but they sell the 24mm version for offroad. Some of the Baja racers use them.

Ride Engineering - 24mm Showa Damper

MX-HPSD1-10.jpg

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
@leeo45 I worked on a SM which used that damper and the owner who mounted it had it on the front of the head tube; behind the headlight/number plate. It was an interesting setup and moved pretty well.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
@leeo45 I worked on a SM which used that damper and the owner who mounted it had it on the front of the head tube; behind the headlight/number plate. It was an interesting setup and moved pretty well.

Yep, that is the standard mounting for the Showa and that's the way I have seen them on the Baja race bikes. A disadvantage of that mounting location is that it is impossible to adjust while riding the way you can with the Scotts, Ohlins, and PRP models. I suspect that is more of a potential isssue for desert and woods riding than for MX/SX. If we can figure a way to mount a Scotts offroad damper on the ALTA that would be ideal for me. Here's a shot of the Showa damper mounted on a Suzuki RMZ; obviously with a model specific upper mount.
Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 5.28.11 AM.png

snydes

Staff member
Has anyone ridden with a Showa/Honda/Ride Engineering damper? I looked at this a while back thinking it might be easier to modify or build a mount for this than a Scotts damper. It seems to be mostly targeted for MX but they sell the 24mm version for offroad. Some of the Baja racers use them.

Ride Engineering - 24mm Showa Damper

View attachment 5223

Based on your input, one of those definitely will not be adequate for you IMO. I had one on a Honda.., not much to talk about. It does look like they would possibly directly bolt on to an Alta with existing holes, which I believe is what Rashid510 was referring to. If so you could probably try one fairly easily.

Top Bottom