New PRP Steering Damper

Trialsman

I first started using a damper on my Husaberg when riding the higher speed rocks out in Colorado. It saved me several times and I had adapted one to my FreeRide. When I first got the Alta I was not sure I would stay with it so I did not tear it off the Berg or FreeRide, but found another to buy. I use the Ohlins unit which has a lot of adjustment and was able to adapt a unit to the Alta EXR. I will go down to the shop and snap a picture or two. It has worked flawlessly.

F451

Correct. High speed and low speed are defined by the angular speed that the handlebars are turning. The other advantage of the Scotts offroad damper design when riding in the woods (vs. MX) is that it has reduced resistance returning to center in the low speed damping. (BTW, the Scotts road/roadracing version is not valved this way) After four to six hours in an enduro you have saved a lot of effort. And having the damper lets you ride with a looser grip on the handlebars so for me it is a notable difference in fatigue level by the end of a race or long ride. Plus it may have helped me avoid a crash or two as well. :muutt:

All that said, if something moves forward on an adapter (and if it will work with bar risers), I'm in for at least one and probably two.

You saved me the effort of typing all of this up.

Low resistance back to center is key for me on single track, saves a ton of energy over the course of a days ride.

And as mentioned, be careful which Scotts/Ohlins you purchase, make sure its the dirt bike model, the street bike models are high resistance back to center, not good for dirt bikes.

As far as damper install interfering with the display, a typical underbar/sub mount should solve that issue. Of course that only works if you can live with the bars being raised.

I have my Scotts damper on the shelf waiting for some type of underbar/sub mount compatible post solution, so I would be interested on a post mount too.

Taller pins can be sourced directly from Scotts so a post mount that works for the standard over the bars setup may also work with an underbar/sub mount.

Trialsman

Here are a couple pictures of the damper I used.IMG_6508.jpgIMG_6511.jpg
I used the insert for the headstock bearing for the stabilizer mount. I needed to machine out a notch fromeach of the handlebar mounts to afford me enough width for the main unit. The top bolt for the triple clamp needed to be re-machined to adapt to the mounting through the Ohlins unit. All in all, it was relatively easy.

Trialsman

I went about it a little differently. I made a 0.250" thick spacer to go between the bar clamps and the triple clamp. You can see the black powder coated piece and, just to the left of it in the picture is one of the three mounting points for my AltaVault which protects the display. Hope this helps a little.

IMG_6512.jpg

Trialsman

The reason I choose the Ohlins damper as opposed to the Scotts, is that it offers more control and it is a much more compact unit. Better suited to under the bar applications without raising the bars way up in the air.

Motophyllic

Flexx bars offers a low handlebar option which bring you back to stock height when using a damper sub-mount.

evh1

This is how I mounted a Scott’s on my supermoto bike so it wouldn’t be a hazard up in my face in a get off. The bracket uses 2 holes in the lower triple that Alta has, but the rear bracket is welded on the frame... was wondering if it could be drilled, tapped and used on the Alta aluminum frame...? Anyway, does this tingle anyone’s cranial mass?

image.jpg

image.jpg

leeo45

Geezer in denial
This is how I mounted a Scott’s on my supermoto bike so it wouldn’t be a hazard up in my face in a get off. The bracket uses 2 holes in the lower triple that Alta has, but the rear bracket is welded on the frame... was wondering if it could be drilled, tapped and used on the Alta aluminum frame...? Anyway, does this tingle anyone’s cranial mass?

It looks like Scotts may not sell that low mount option anymore. :unsure:

However, seeing your pictures reminded me that the mount is very similar to the mount used by W.E.R. for their steering damper. They use a heim joint rod and a bracket which can be welded, riveted, or bolted to the bike's frame. The alignment isn't as critical as with the Scotts bar link. They also make a clamp on bracket for some bikes. (second picture below) I had one on my Gas-Gas enduro bike many, many years ago. It seemed to work pretty well. Like the Scotts, they have no resistance back to center for off-road riding.

Being somewhat prone to crashing when exhausted towards the end of an enduro that mounting location always seemed susceptible to damage in the woods (although I never bent anything). And since at 6'-3" I use bar risers anyway I like the under-bar Scotts mount so that's what I have used for the past fifteen years.

LINK: W.E.R. Damper
damper3-2000x1214.jpg

steering-damper_wer%5B1%5D.jpg

Top Bottom