New member from the U.K.

Hi all, i would like to say Hello and to say why i am here.

I have loved the idea of an Alta way back in the very early days, just an awesome idea right from the get go, I do like a bike thats very different from the rest (Aprilia MXV ex-owner!) and was waiting patiently over here in the U.K. for when they finally started to send them over, everything about the bike ticked my boxes and it was a waiting game from then on, only to be absolutely gutted they went out of business....I really was heartbroken to say the very least, I still can not quite believe its all gone....but with finding this forum and keeping a close eye on everyone who helps keep the Alta going, and the general good feeling this place brings I am back in the game for one!.

Another reason why I would like to have one, is for the last two years over here i volunteered my time to take over and run a local motocross track in the area, after the owner sadly had several strokes, so i offered to help and take over running it and get it back into shape and get the place how it should be, and i am proud to say i did just that!, was so much fun ( not to mention long hours and time!) to maintain and prep the tracks and help people to learn to ride, and generally help familys be together and enjoy riding, the work was never ending and track prep was everyday as the facility was open 7 days a week!.

Sadly the landowners wanted the land back and after fighting for it for a year i had to move out, never been so sad in my life as it was a dream place for me as i ride and loved doing what i did there, yes even cleaning the toilet blocks!.

So, when the time was up i bought all the tractors and bowsers, all the impliments I used on the track, and everything and anything from them and set my mind to find somewhere else here to make my own track, this has been a massive task as Moto in the U.K. is not really looked at in a good light, and everyone will moan about noise or dust or traffic or or or......the complaints i received when running the old track was every month, very sad...but its a small rock to make noise on!.

I am pleased to say i have finally found somewhere and my offer was accepted!, hope to move in there near October and build throught the winter, its a huge project and i am only one man but i will do it!.

Now, back to why i am here, I fell in love with the whole idea of an Alta even before the old track was closed down, Kurt Nichol was training at my track for the British Vets racing in 2018 and we got on very well and with Kurt riding and winning on an Alta it cemented my want even more!.

Now, my new facility i am going to build and run will be a "Electric track" meaning i am going to focus and promote electric bikes....yes, i know what your thinking and yes it is a risk, but if no one show's people and explains to people all about electric and the future then how will people become more positive about it all?, I want to be able to run a track with electric bikes, I know they are not main stream, or available for full sized bikes in mass numbers, but for the kids they are and thats my first track i am going to build, as they have options of say the Husky / KTM-E and Ossets etc, when the old track closed my 50cc-65cc riders were 50/50 gas/E!...so my plan is to get them a track built so they can come and have some E-Fun!.

This will be great in both the promotion of electric and also for the whole scene of motocross, no noise means happy neighbours and i dont think it will have the negative stereotype we seem to suffer from here. I will even provide charging points and offer help/advice. Also I believe it will help with the local Council to provide a place (that we have lost in the area) for family's / riders to be back doing what they love, and also the green/ anti-pollution groups too, I know it will be small groups at first, thats more than fine with me, I am not doing all this for money i am doing all this to show that Electric is the future no matter what and just how awesome it all can be, again if no one is willing to show people and open their minds to E-Bikes then how will they learn and want to be a part of it all.

I am 100% committed to make this all happen... and this website and posts & general whole community that i have been checking in on everyday for the last few years has really helped me in going down this path to do this over here. I have even sold my own home to fund this!, thats how much i want to make it work.

I have been learning and reading so much i feel even though Alta has gone, I am confident enough to buy a bike and have it sent over here and use it, if something happens it happens....but i want to be on an electric bike and show what it can do from the start of my venture.

So, I am hoping that someone will post up a good bike for sale and one of the main things i need is some major help in getting it here, its a big ask but I dont know of any other way to do it, with the members being so helpful for each other and the trust shown here its something that i would be very grateful for indeed. Its the shipping and import taxes that will put the price over the top i think, Not keen on all that!. If i could find a cost effective way of doing it then great, a bike thats for sale in the E.U. would be a whole lot easier, and in the U.K. would be amazing, but the prices would be steep and then back to the USA we go.

I have been offered two 2017 MX bikes stock, one new one very low hours but at £12000 (for the new one) its just too much with everything else i am trying to do and pay for.

I would really like a MXR as late as possible, Something from a forum member or a known bike would be great. I do keep a very close eye on the for sale section!.

I am sorry for the very long first post, i can imagine your all busy people. I just wanted to explain my cause & hope someone might be able to help me get my first Alta.

Very well done on creating a place for people who embrace the future, and some who are trying to keep it going and take it further!....really, its fantastic.

Danny #76.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Welcome to the group. You should hook up with @wwmotors. It sounds like he used to run an electric dirt bike park in Europe. Maybe he can give you some pointers

From 2007 to 2014 we where renting electric Quantyas (Brand from Switzerland) to everyone like in a carting hall. So the customer got bike, clothing, trainer and track (3 levels). 10 minutes where12€. Easy concept, but the weather problems (no hall and 6 months to cold and wet) and the expensive bikes did not leave much margin. Another problem is, that half of the bikes are on the charger, the other half is riding. So You need a lot of bikes (invest), to keep people busy! So we stopped it in 2014. I kept the track for testing, servicing and dealing with electric bikes (Brammo, Zero, Quantya, and at last ALTAs) and I do seminars concerning Motorbikes and especially electric bikes for TÜV organisations. So the track is still in use. Just changed it a bit and keep it in shape. In the moment, I wait for a successor for ALTA, because this was the best dirtbike ever built, for daling them to people! :) Enclosed a picture from the track and a Quantya dirtbike, what we used first.

snydes

Staff member
I applaud your efforts on your all electric facility. Might catch on quicker in Europe than it would in the USA. As far as bikes, that’s going to be a challenge. Seems to be more interested buyers than there are available bikes at the moment.

Welcome to the group. You should hook up with @wwmotors. It sounds like he used to run an electric dirt bike park in Europe. Maybe he can give you some pointers

Hi, Thanks!. It sounds like he faced alot of what we have here, bad weather!, Its a similar idea to what i have but i will use (until something else comes along) the KTM E-SX in the Freeride and the kids bikes too for a start, I would like if i can get an economical way to do it bring over more than just one Alta for myself, I will have to outlay quite alot but its something i have a budget for and most importantly want to do!. I will look him up. Thanks again and keep up the good work!.

I applaud your efforts on your all electric facility. Might catch on quicker in Europe than it would in the USA. As far as bikes, that’s going to be a challenge. Seems to be more interested buyers than there are available bikes at the moment.
Hi, Thanks very much. Its something I really want to do, and who wouldn't want to!. I have the time and vision to make it work. We have tracks closing due to noise so its time to remove the noise and get people aware, interested and thinking of electric bikes.

As far as bikes for sale, yes your right there is not that many at all, but there has been a few in the last week on here for sale, and after someone said about the Alta page on FB i did have a look and there is quite a few popping up, even another member Metzger bought one recently from Utah (Congratulations!).
I have a friend in Las Vegas who used to ride my track here in the U.K. when he was over with the USAF, he used to come with his buddy's and we all got on well, kept intouch with Dan and he is a good friend now. He has offered to help me in getting a bike here and i am very thankful of that, but its just the best way to ship it over here and what way works the best, i am now on it researching everyday to make it happen, as i would like to have an Alta here for my meeting with the local Council to show them all about it and help promote the whole idea, start of on the right foot so to say. I can try and explain all the benefits all day long but if they can see it in action i think it might just be the best way forward.

All the best!.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Hi, Thanks very much. Its something I really want to do, and who wouldn't want to!. I have the time and vision to make it work. We have tracks closing due to noise so its time to remove the noise and get people aware, interested and thinking of electric bikes.

As far as bikes for sale, yes your right there is not that many at all, but there has been a few in the last week on here for sale, and after someone said about the Alta page on FB i did have a look and there is quite a few popping up, even another member Metzger bought one recently from Utah (Congratulations!).
I have a friend in Las Vegas who used to ride my track here in the U.K. when he was over with the USAF, he used to come with his buddy's and we all got on well, kept intouch with Dan and he is a good friend now. He has offered to help me in getting a bike here and i am very thankful of that, but its just the best way to ship it over here and what way works the best, i am now on it researching everyday to make it happen, as i would like to have an Alta here for my meeting with the local Council to show them all about it and help promote the whole idea, start of on the right foot so to say. I can try and explain all the benefits all day long but if they can see it in action i think it might just be the best way forward.

All the best!.

Coincidentally, since your friend is in Las Vegas, there just happens to be an Alta for sale there:
For Sale - For sale 2018 mxr

Coincidentally, since your friend is in Las Vegas, there just happens to be an Alta for sale there:
For Sale - For sale 2018 mxr
Hi, yes i saw that first thing this morning on my daily searches for one!, i could not believe it. I did speak to Dan over there and he was like "I'll go tonight!".

But, I am really looking for a 2019 model MXR so i dont have so much of the battery issue worry, over here it would be even worse to buy a early version i think, at least with all you guys in the same land it makes it a little easier if a battery goes bad for a forum member to help repair etc, shipping it in the states etc is easier then from U.K. I hope i am explaining this well and trying to think the best possible option for a bike.

I am not too sure on the last number on the VIN range that were the most prone to maybe having an issue?, have read and read but can not see anything concrete, and with out a person close with a laptop its a gamble.

Also, does anyone know a Tony Williams, or if he is a member on here?. I did see he has "more than one" for sale on the FB page, but i dont "do" facebook at all.

Again, thanks for the heads up for the Las vegas one.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Hi, yes i saw that first thing this morning on my daily searches for one!, i could not believe it. I did speak to Dan over there and he was like "I'll go tonight!".

But, I am really looking for a 2019 model MXR so i dont have so much of the battery issue worry, over here it would be even worse to buy a early version i think, at least with all you guys in the same land it makes it a little easier if a battery goes bad for a forum member to help repair etc, shipping it in the states etc is easier then from U.K. I hope i am explaining this well and trying to think the best possible option for a bike.

I am not too sure on the last number on the VIN range that were the most prone to maybe having an issue?, have read and read but can not see anything concrete, and with out a person close with a laptop its a gamble.

Also, does anyone know a Tony Williams, or if he is a member on here?. I did see he has "more than one" for sale on the FB page, but i dont "do" facebook at all.

At this point, I’m not sure if you can afford to be too choosy. There just aren't that many bikes for sale overall, especially ones that pop up in the right place at the right time. At this time, I would say a proven bike with a few hours on it is a better bet than a brand new one that you don’t know will have a problem or not. If the used bike doesn’t have an issue after 20-40 hours, it is probably a sound bike.

Reactions: #76

At this point, I’m not sure if you can afford to be too choosy. There just aren't that many bikes for sale overall, especially ones that pop up in the right place at the right time. At this time, I would say a proven bike with a few hours on it is a better bet than a brand new one that you don’t know will have a problem or not. If the used bike doesn’t have an issue after 20-40 hours, it is probably a sound bike.

I know, but its a big decision and just wanted the best i could buy, was there much in the way of difference between the 2018 - 2019 bikes?, or please point me in the right direction to read about the changes. I just thought from reading that the best bet would be a 2019 to near make sure of a good battery, but thats some good info you just shared, i have not thought about it in that way before, as you say at least you know its pretty much all ok, is that why no one is buying the few new ones that are available like the 2018 here and Tony's 2019's?. Thank you.

snydes

Staff member

The serial number of that bike puts it pretty close to the time frame where they identified the wirebond problem, serial number 465 was the first 2019 MXR, this bike is 417. The serial number sequence rolled into 2019, so that bike could be considered a "late production" 2018. You are correct that all 2019's are a bit of a safer bet since they were all after the battery issue was caught.

Tony Williams was a member here at one time.

ozzey92

As i am beginner, wanna ask What is the significance of the serial number for a 2019 MXR motorcycle and how does it relate to the wirebond problem and the battery issue that was identified during the production of this model? As i read comlete detailes about it here but my confusion is , How does the serial number sequence impact the production timeline and what does it mean for a motorcycle to be considered a "late production" 2018? Can you provide more information on the wirebond problem and the battery issue and how they were resolved in later models?