New high performance E-MX from Germany

Blatant Moto

Something new on the line

I had a small hand in some aesthetic driven decisions on this project. The bike is an absolute beast. Not sure what his production intent is just yet, but thought this thread was as good as any. Curious about what you guys will think of it when he posts actual images. I can confidently say if you were looking for more power from an Alta (which is already too much for me) this will be the answer..

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am getting very E-XCITED! The lower back of this sweetheart is giving me an uncontrollable e-rection. I urgently need to hump it!

MXM_Teaser_4_3b633f71eb.jpeg

Are these twin shocks??? LOL!!!

Blatant Moto

Correct. Packaging a battery that big and tuning for weight balance meant that a traditional link setup was a no go. I warned him of your exact reaction, and it’s something we fought at Alta as well. Challenging norms in a trend driven market can have serious negative marketing consequences, regardless of any actual advantages in the system being mocked.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Correct. Packaging a battery that big and tuning for weight balance meant that a traditional link setup was a no go. I warned him of your exact reaction, and it’s something we fought at Alta as well. Challenging norms in a trend driven market can have serious negative marketing consequences, regardless of any actual advantages in the system being mocked.
Crap. I am all for innovative approaches, even if it means going back in time. But the suspension performance on a motocross bike is like 80-90% of the game. We already had motorcycles with 50hp like 70-100 years ago, but they could not compete in supercross until the suspension technology improved. No suspension tuner would touch twin shocks with a 6-foot pole these days. It is a huge no-go. Potential buyers will be hugely disappointed before even trying this bike.

Blatant Moto

Crap. I am all for innovative approaches, even if it means going back in time. But the suspension performance on a motocross bike is like 80-90% of the game. We already had motorcycles with 50hp like 70-100 years ago, but they could not compete in supercross until the suspension technology improved. No suspension tuner would touch twin shocks with a 6-foot pole these days. It is a huge no-go. Potential buyers will be hugely disappointed before even trying this bike.
Preaching to the choir.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Screw the suspension. Go hard tail and just put springs on the seat! It was good enough for my grand-pappy’s John Deere tractor, and that thing was a beast in the dirt.

Sumik

Does somebody know what has been the main real technical reason for using single shock instead of dual ones since Yamaha developed its Mono-Shock system in 1972 on MX bikes?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Does somebody know what has been the main real technical reason for using single shock instead of dual ones since Yamaha developed its Mono-Shock system in 1972 on MX bikes?
I think there has been more than one reason for a single shock with a linkage system.

Engineers kept moving the shocks forward on the swing arm to increase the suspension travel. They probably tried longer and skinny dampers too, but noticed that larger and slower-moving dampers were more consistent, less prone to cavitation, and didn't heat up us a much.

They also realized that by adding a linkage system the motion ratio could be changed throughout the stroke to achieve a better traction on small bumps and a better bottoming resistance on large bumps.

Eventually, they ended up with one damper and a linkage system on all MX bikes that are designed to jump, and one damper without a linkage system on enduro and road bikes that normally do not jump as much.

Sumik

I think there has been more than one reason for a single shock with a linkage system.

Engineers kept moving the shocks forward on the swing arm to increase the suspension travel. They probably tried longer and skinny dampers too, but noticed that larger and slower-moving dampers were more consistent, less prone to cavitation, and didn't heat up us a much.

They also realized that by adding a linkage system the motion ratio could be changed throughout the stroke to achieve a better traction on small bumps and a better bottoming resistance on large bumps.

Eventually, they ended up with one damper and a linkage system on all MX bikes that are designed to jump, and one damper without a linkage system on enduro and road bikes that normally do not jump as much.
Thank you. Fully agree with respect to the development which followed after Mono-Shock and Pro-Link market introduction in later 70th. According to what I read the original reason was to get space inside the frame for the exhaust pipe.

Bob Casper

Being an old racer from the twin shock era, lay down shocks were the first attempts at changing leverage rate. Not nearly as efficient as modern bikes, some of the last twin shock Maicos were quite good. Would they survive on a SX track, absolutely not but in reality can they be made to work for most of us that only ride tracks with moderate size jumps? Maybe so.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I am getting very E-XCITED! The lower back of this sweetheart is giving me an uncontrollable e-rection. I urgently need to hump it!

MXM_Teaser_4_3b633f71eb.jpeg

Probably suspended by Worx Shocks!:muutt:

Mark911

It’s a generic pack in the model. It’s has the ability to fit the entire Alta battery pack within its volume plus room for a generic controller and active cooling system. The simple shape facilitates the incorporation of many different kinds of cells, capacities, voltages, etc. It’s designed to be hot-swappable by just removing the seat and tilting the subsection support forward.

Top Bottom