New article [nothing new tho]

BenEXR

Can you imagine what the take-rate is going to be for any electric HD motorcycle?

It looks good, I'll give it that.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting observation -- there is no chain, but the sound is still about the same as on the Redshift. So where is this high-pitch whiney RC model-like sound *really* coming from? The two drive gears? The ball bearings? The motor?

Perhaps our resident Zero experts @Oded , @rayivers , @Rashid510 could chime in.

rayivers

So where is this high-pitch whiney RC model-like sound *really* coming from?

My vote is for the reduction gears. When I first heard the Alta on video, I thought, 'OMG, that thing sounds like a huge sewing machine!" I hardly hear it at all while riding, though.

My belt-drive Zero is nearly silent; low-speed tire noise blends into higher-speed wind noise, with some motor-drive sound at higher throttle.

strider

Probably the way the cut the reduction gears. When I rode the Mission prototype I commented on the large amount of gear noise. The CTO said it was because of the way they cut the gears. They had thought about changing it but then decided that they liked the sound. But who knows, all the ICE manufacturers are generating engine noises with the stereo so I wouldn't put it past the company that prides itself on making the most noise and the least power of any motorcycle ever.

snydes

Staff member
I wouldn't put it past the company that prides itself on making the most noise and the least power of any motorcycle ever.

:LOL::ROFLMAO: How true is that! Maybe they will offer straight cut gears as an accessory item. The new slogan will be "Loud Gears Save Lives". Maybe they will also install an oil reservoir with a dripper so you can mark your spot everywhere you go. To truly give a realistic Harley experience. Did that sound mean?

BenEXR

I have seen plenty of threads bashing the new HD adventure bike and the new electric bike.

Guys that ride HD's are NOT going to be going to an e-bike. What will their buddies think of them? Not able to annoy the neighbors and other drivers on the roads? What good is their life if they can't do that with the loudest exhaust on the roads today?

Then, guys that would want an electric motorcycle would never buy a HD, just because, well, it's a HD.

It is the same unfortunate image that the American automakers have, that they had forced so much crap onto the buying public, it is hard to change the image no matter how good the product might be now.

Let the HD pile-on continue.

Fod

Well.....Doesn't Harley have a trike? :unsure: If those sell, anything will sell!!!!

:poop:, even HD snuggies would sell!!!! I just dont get it....Trikes, ass-less chaps, Bars so high your ears get chaffed. The only thing they have going for them is the "If you can read this the Bitch fell off!" shirts.

BenEXR

Well.....Doesn't Harley have a trike? :unsure: If those sell, anything will sell!!!!

:poop:, even HD snuggies would sell!!!! I just dont get it....Trikes, ass-less chaps, Bars so high your ears get chaffed. The only thing they have going for them is the "If you can read this the Bitch fell off!" shirts.

They sell because the engine still makes loud exhaust sounds. My buddy, who is a converted HD Evo-lover, got a trike for a loaner and said that when he is too elderly to keep the bike upright on his own, he'd get a trike as it was a lot of fun to ride.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I talked to a Harley guy who rides a Likewire. Please do not ask me how and where I found him. He couldn't tell anything specific, of course, so I asked him: "Tell me one thing. Is it fun?" His immediate reply was "Yes, absolutely,".