Nearly lost my front fork! What is the right Torque?

wwmotors

Hello ALTA riders, yesterday while MX in the SX-hall, nearly all bolts of the triple clamp to fork went loose in between very short time. I was lucky, not to have a big one! So I checked today the manual and there ist says 10Nm for all 8 screws! BUT in the torque table it says 14Nm for the same screws. What is Your experience and what is right? I was at 10Nm before riding the SX hall, so I think, I should go higher to 14Nm? The same I found for the Triple Clamp to pinch bolt. In the manual 10Nm, in the torque table 14Nm! This is a 40% difference. That should be important!
Thanks for Your help and Cheers from Germany

Brent421

Hello ALTA riders, yesterday while MX in the SX-hall, nearly all bolts of the triple clamp to fork went loose in between very short time. I was lucky, not to have a big one! So I checked today the manual and there ist says 10Nm for all 8 screws! BUT in the torque table it says 14Nm for the same screws. What is Your experience and what is right? I was at 10Nm before riding the SX hall, so I think, I should go higher to 14Nm? The same I found for the Triple Clamp to pinch bolt. In the manual 10Nm, in the torque table 14Nm! This is a 40% difference. That should be important!
I believe you’re confused. The torque is 14 “Newton Meters” or 10.3 “Foot pounds” for the triple clamp fork bolts and pinch bolts.

F451

The Alta triple clamps are not the strongest, mine had very little space left in the gap when torqued down. I replaced the Alta triples with '14 KTM 500 triples. This mod requires the matching KTM axle, front wheel, and spacers as the KTM triples are not as wide as the Alta triples (fork tube to fork tube). I also bought a KTM front fender while I was at it.

Besides giving me peace of mind about the triples, I like the idea that the bike is all KTM from the triples forward, and basically all KTM from the shock rear ward. Makes it easier for me to source parts and what-not, I also think it will make the bike easier to sell if I ever decide to do that.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
To be specific to the Alta Manual and work instructions there is a process of torquing the bolts on the lower and upper forks. There was alot of development/discovery about this process. Even for myself it was a surprise about the torque values. Few of the R&D guys went back and forth with the Design engineers about these torque values and below is what each bike got from factory.

1. Install Forks into triples
2. Torque steering stem nut to (30Nm) (ALL torque values on the bike are in Nm) (Sets the entire triple tree)
3. Torque lower pinch bolts to 10Nm, alternating
1577551045628.png
(We played with 12Nm and 14Nm in torque audits...the fork bolts are special with a weird type of lubricant on them which helps)
4. Loosen steering stem nut and then torque to (25Nm)
5. Torque middle pinch bolt to (10Nm)
1577551128154.png
6. Check torque on steering stem nut (25Nm)
7. Finall torque the upper pinch bolts to 10Nm in the upper tripples.
1577551203229.png

F451

I doeblechecked that again. All numbers are in Nm! I will go to the setup like KTM: upper screws 17Nm, lower 12Nm

Just re-read your post, perhaps I misunderstood and you're going to torque to KTM specs and not use KTM parts.

Oh well, either way, I'll leave this here in case anyone is interested:

I think these are all of the parts needed to use the KTM triples on an MXR:
KTM triple clamps (including stem).
KTM front wheel (hub is the difference).
KTM front axle.
KTM spacers.
KTM front fender.
Longer steering stop bolts.
KTM headlight plastics or number plate.

leeo45

Geezer in denial

As you rework the bolt tightness, take a very close look at the triple clamps to be sure you don't have a crack somewhere. If all the bolts became loose at one time it could be because of a part failure instead of the bolts backing out.

wwmotors

I changed the Triples now and took the new ones from my EXR for safety. Does someone of You sell original ALTA triples in good condition and ship to Germany?

snydes

Staff member
I suspect Liquid has them. @ayden_kry should be able to answer that question.

Also, and @datadog I believe can verify this... I remember there being a revision in the torque recommendation and they bumped it up to (I think) 14Nm? Rashid mentioned that they were testing those different values but my iffy memory recalls datadog calling that official at one point. Don't quote me on that :p

What bike was this on? Up until I believe late 2018 model year production they used 6061 clamps, then they changed over to 7075 from there on out. Your clamp will have that information engraved/etched on it. Same clamp, better material.7D8C7E09-034E-406C-9E8B-738737CBCCF9.jpeg

wwmotors

I suspect Liquid has them. @ayden_kry should be able to answer that question.

Also, and @datadog I believe can verify this... I remember there being a revision in the torque recommendation and they bumped it up to (I think) 14Nm? Rashid mentioned that they were testing those different values but my iffy memory recalls datadog calling that official at one point. Don't quote me on that :p

What bike was this on? Up until I believe late 2018 model year production they used 6061 clamps, then they changed over to 7075 from there on out. Your clamp will have that information engraved/etched on it. Same clamp, better material.View attachment 4374
Thanks, i already wrote Liquid. Hope, they have one for me! I will check the version asap! Cheers

Jayfox911

Just re-read your post, perhaps I misunderstood and you're going to torque to KTM specs and not use KTM parts.

Oh well, either way, I'll leave this here in case anyone is interested:

I think these are all of the parts needed to use the KTM triples on an MXR:
KTM triple clamps (including stem).
KTM front wheel (hub is the difference).
KTM front axle.
KTM spacers.
KTM front fender.
Longer steering stop bolts.
KTM headlight plastics or number plate.
I have not looked but this seems like a post worthy of its own thread for Ktm front end replacement.

I am thinking about doing this just to be able to use as many Ktm standard parts as possible.
Does it matter in what year Ktm clamps are used? 22mm vs 20mm offset or the year/model? do 2019 Sxf triple clamps work?

did Alta make their own for the wider sm front wheel?

F451

I have not looked but this seems like a post worthy of its own thread for Ktm front end replacement.

I am thinking about doing this just to be able to use as many Ktm standard parts as possible.
Does it matter in what year Ktm clamps are used? 22mm vs 20mm offset or the year/model? do 2019 Sxf triple clamps work?

did Alta make their own for the wider sm front wheel?

I'm no expert on this mod, but I used '14 KTM 500 EXC triples, front wheel, axle, spacers, etc.

That KTM triples offset is 20 mm and appears to fit fine, haven't tried riding it yet, but I expect no problems with the trail riding that I do.

The Altas have an adjustable offset that is delivered from the factory at 22mm, and can be set to 18mm, so the KTM triples I used are splitting the difference.

I don't know if the 2019 SXF triple clamps will work. This thread says not to use "2017 or newer triple clamps, the handle bar mounts bolting protrude and contact steering head": Want to buy - Ex front wheel spacers

Regarding the wider front hub, I believe it is so they could use the same front hub on all the bikes, and the SM needs the most clearance, so we all ended up with that setup.

I noticed my triple clamps pinch gap was narrowing and I had read that some of the triple clamps were made from 6061 Al before they switched to 7075 (as mentioned above) and it was making me nervous as I had the 6061 triples, so I swithced everything out for the KTM bits.

Besides peace of mind, its just easier for me to have everything '14 KTM compatible, and I think it will make the bike slightly easier to sell when that time comes. I'll be adding this same info and some pics to my mods thread here: 2018 MXR Mods

Brent421

I doeblechecked that again. All numbers are in Nm! I will go to the setup like KTM: upper screws 17Nm, lower 12Nm
The online manual shows NM and FT-LB. 14 NM has worked flawless for me. These triple clamps are quite different than the ones on my KTM’s.

57F04D0A-5E58-44E1-B195-B956C334A347.png

D734D916-EB1C-4EEB-B126-F25849C436A6.png