My Output Shaft Snapped.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Having trouble gettIng the motor out of the bulkhead. Whats the trick? Ive tried using my hands to force it out, tried using a rubber mallet, tried lightly prying it from the right side making sure not to mar aby aluminum. I can move it like .5mm but thats about it. It feels like this thing needs to be pressed out.20211126_155811.jpg
20211126_155825.jpg

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
So try pressing on the input shaft point and the cover of the target magnet (fyi put the cover back on the target magnet so no debris lands there).

The o-rings plus the input shaft nestled in there is causing it to get stuck...

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Just waiting on a 12-ton hydraulic press that i ordered to arrive (should be here Friday) and then i'll be able to start the reassembly process. Bike has been down for longer than i wanted, but life has had me quite busy the last few months. Hoping to have the bike back together before the New Year!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Snapped a quick clip from the video of how i mounted the Tusk case splitter to push the motor out. It really didn't require much force, just more than i could do with my bare hands.

1640050370537.png

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
New bearings pressed on to new output shaft. Now to press the motor side shaft bearing outer race into the motor plate. Pay extra attention and be absolutely sure the motor plate is supported and flush all the way across so you dont bend it while pressing the bearing! You have 5mm tall allen heads sticking out the motor side but nothing on the shaft side. So youll need to make up that difference carefully. Ive inserted allen head bolts with the same height head as the motor bolts into the shaft side holes to make it perfectly supported.

20211226_131522.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Motor pressed back in the rear bulkhead. I chose to use the tusk case splitter tool again to make the job easier. Just like pushing the motor out, it required a little more force to push the motor in than i could do with my bare hands. With lubricated orings the motor slid in with very minimal force needed by the splitter tool. Now to bolt everything up and get on with reassembly!
20211226_173749.jpg
20211226_173903.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
By far the most annoying part of this process is feeding the motor leads, position sensor and temp sensor wires through the bulkhead. In the video im putting together i offer some tips but the basic idea is to feed the position sensor wire in first, then the temp sensor, then the black terminal wire, then red, then green. The rubber isolation material makes it a pain in the butt, but just take your time.

20211227_161037.jpg
20211227_161044.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Should be all finished tomorrow. Battery is ready to go in and just have to bolt up lower frame, subframe, and seat. Cant wait to shred again! Its been raining for the past week here in socal, and looks like itll be raining until saturday. In the meantime im going to go through the rest of the bike and freshen things up. Probably rebuild suspension and stuff.

20211227_220123.jpg

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Does any have two motor orings available? Or does Liquid have them?

I'm starting this same repair next week.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
How many miles on your bike when the shaft snapped off.

If you're asking me, the bike I'm working on has a bent counter-shaft. And it was raced all season like that. The motor/gearbox sound awful. Like really awful.

I'll post some pictures when I get into it. Right now I'm collecting parts.

Top Bottom