MXR suspension setup for 200lb rider

otbnc

I grew up racing on four wheels so I’m pretty new to dirt bikes, but I’m loving the MXR I bought a few months ago! I mainly ride in woods trails but I’m hoping to get out on a starter track soon and start to learn how to jump it properly.

I weigh approx 200lbs / 205lbs with gear and wondered if anyone could give me a good starting point for shock setup? I’ve got a pump for the front forks arriving next week.

Is the stock spring ok or do I need something stiffer?

Thanks for your help!

snydes

Staff member
Congrats on the MXR, great machine and hard to come by lately! As far as the shock spring, if I recall correctly the spring should be fairly close for your weight providing it wasn’t changed already, others will correct me if I’m wrong on that. There was a shock revision in MXRs on the valving, but that probably won’t come into play for your for awhile.

Have fun!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
@otbnc -- Congrats on a great purchase!

Coming to 2 wheels from 4 wheels is tough! I hope you are good at least at riding bicycles. I remember my auto racing crazy friend went mountain biking with us for the first time. He knew how to ride a bicycle before... or so he thought. He crashed like 5 times probably. When he wanted to turn right, he was steering also to the right, LOL!

Then I took him and my other mountain bike racing friend to a motocross track. The mountain bike racing friend did okay, eventually looping out on a tiny jump. He had fun. Buy the 4-wheel friend was a little short for the bike, and with his poor balancing skills he was unable to even start riding a dirt bike on his own. That was funny to us but not to him, LOL!

Check to make sure you you have a v.2 shock:
MXR Rear Shock v.1 vs. v.2

And make sure you have the stock 60 N/mm spring. The spring should say 60-260 on its side. That spring is good for your weight.

I weigh almost the same as you, and I have run everything from 154 to 174 psi In my fork on different tracks.

But regardless of what shock you have, you can still start riding at the MX track and do jumps. Even with the wrong shock the bike is still safe and okay to jump. Set your clickers in the middle of their adjustment ranges. If you have an original non-revalved v.1 shock, turn the rebound clicker all the way in for more damping.

Once your skills improve, let us know! You can try playing with the clickers yourself too and see what you notice.

Do not become too focused on your suspension at this time. If it is in the normal range, you should work on your riding skills instead.

Watch MX riding training videos on YouTube. I would also recommend Gary Semics' training videos at www.gsmxs.com. I think Gary spends his winters in NC, so you might be able to get a MX coaching from him in person.

otbnc

That’s awesome really appreciate all of the info! Thanks for taking the time to detail everything and I’d definitely be interested in some in person coaching if he’s around NC, that’s a great idea.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Since you are a newer rider, i recommend you set everything neutral at the recommended settings and gain some skill on the bike first.

My personal opinion is that if you are anything outside of a casual vet rider and/or a casual trail rider, the stock suspension will hold you back a lot. I went from fighting my MXR suspension and it hold me back from riding faster to..... the suspension on my MXR being the feel i want in all my bikes.

My experience lies with Race Tech, and i can tell you that they provided me with a perfect setting for my needs. I typically recommend getting a setting that is 1 skill level above where you currently are at, and then growing into that new setting. For me, I'm a SoCal B rider/racer and i went with a pro setting and its incredible. When you have the confidence to push your bike hard, you ride fast and safe.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently in the process of working with RaceTech to attain what TCMB371 has. The customer service is horrible. No easy way to get a knowledgeable person on the phone, and they don't return phone calls. I am about to send the suspension back and request my money back, but I think I will try reaching them one last time next week.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I am currently in the process of working with RaceTech to attain what TCMB371 has. The customer service is horrible. No easy way to get a knowledgeable person on the phone, and they don't return phone calls. I am about to send the suspension back and request my money back, but I think I will try reaching them one last time next week.

Philip, I passed your phone number to Chris at RaceTech. Hoping he can help connect you with a tech.