MXR Moto Gearing options...

Hey all.

Looking for any MXR owners who ride only Moto for their gearing set up please. Would be good to get some info together to maybe help others too.

Been reading through alot of threads and have seen a few posts with some saying a 13t is a good fit for moto, then the 14t thread too. Not much on a rear?.

I am asking as would like a heads up from peoples experience in trying out different set ups, and then i can use that info to help what might best to suit my riding style/tracks.

With the lack of tracks here and general hate of any riding, availability here in the U.K. to play about and test is near impossible.

I ride only Moto and would like to hear from others who have had time to play about with gearing on their MXR and what makes a good "sweet spot" inc what map they use the most.

Thanks.

Scooter584

12/53 is stock I tried a 13/50,51,52 Ended up going back to the 12 front and actually dropped a tooth on the rear to 52 (also have the 51 but haven't tried it as I like the 12/52). I ride mostly mx and on the faster more wide open tracks I would run out or speed/power dropping a tooth on the rear helped and I couldn't notice ANY feeling of power loss. I ride most all mx tracks in map 4 but some spots on the track or some easier tracks in 3 to save battery life.

Thanks guys for the input and that helpful graph too.

Thats a huge difference from Scooters 12/52 to Fog's 14/53!.....how is that possible?, @Fog25 have you tried anything else to come up with that combo?.

Then Brians Near stock. I did read (but can not find it now) that you did play about quite a bit on gearing i think it was for the SX.

I would like to use a 13t front if at all possible to help save the sliders, looking at the graph above i would like a second opinion on whats most near stock using a 13t front please!.

Jayfox911

I used 13. Only first 0-10mph is noticeable for me. Like @TCMB371 said faster tracks the 13 was nice. With no clutch you just have to trust the Alta will have enough speed by the time you needed it. A few times I wished I still had the 12 for jump out of corners, otherwise I liked the 13.

Warren

I try 13/53 it was ok for more exhilaration past 50 mph do you hang with 450s. But right now I’m liking 12/50 seem to be the best of both worlds. Good 450 accelerations out of tight corners and still has enough after 50 to hang with most 450s ( that’s a 4.17 ratio)

Warren

I try 13/53 it was ok for more exhilaration past 50 mph do you hang with 450s. But right now I’m liking 12/50 seem to be the best of both worlds. Good 450 accelerations out of tight corners and still has enough after 50 to hang with most 450s ( that’s a 4.17 ratio)

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I recently put a 14T front sprocket on my MXR (53T rear) and i actually like it. For faster guys, having a little more power available at higher speeds is a nice benefit. I rode Perris raceway yesterday which is a pretty tight and jumpy track, but your speeds can approach 50+mph if you're a fast guy. The "snap" off the bottom is definitely reduced, but the power lays down more like a traditional 4stroke where the power builds more linearly. This meant i could get on the throttle a bit sooner in corners which allowed me to corner a little faster it seemed.

Hey Brian.

Thanks for adding to the thread with very helpful info!.
Thats a good thing then, if it changed the way the bike hooks up with a more user friendly power?. All in map 4 no doubt with your level of riding..
Few questions please...

Would this also apply in all maps?, or just map 4 with the extra power the bike has?.
Did you have to change the chain out for the bigger front sprocket?.
Any goPro of the riding?.

Thanks.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I can't really say much about the other maps. I only ride with max power available unless its pouring rain or something. But the effect should be similar across all maps since its a mechanical gearing change.

Same chain. The rear wheel just moves slightly forward.

Here's a few clips from this past weekend. You can tell the gear whine/motor noise is noticeably different as well.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Just wanted to point out that lowering the final drive ratio also reduces engine braking slightly as well. The net engine braking "feel" is less with the 14T front vs the 12T front. Something to think about when considering this gearing change.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I found that less engine braking reduces arm pump. Too much engine braking requires more throttle control as you tend to try to limit the braking effect by not letting the throttle reach "engine braking position", especially when you want to coast instead of be on the brakes. There are definitely scenarios where youd want the chassis free of any motor forces... for example, coasting into a corner entry or mid corner, or on some jump faces.

Anyways, heres a clip with 14/53 gearing. Still has plenty of acceleration at low speeds.

VINSANITY

Hey, can you post a link to where you got the 14T sprocket from. Also assuming will need a longer chain if it’s already on the short side.

thanks

Hey, can you post a link to where you got the 14T sprocket from. Also assuming will need a longer chain if it’s already on the short side.

thanks
TCMB371 - Same chain. The rear wheel just moves slightly forward. (Not sure how short is short, but this is what Brian said when i asked above).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I run a 12/45 gearing, which is almost the same as 14/53. I do not need my arms ripped out of their sockets, neither do I need to sit bounce out of tight corners, but I could use more power on straightaways and on bigger jumps.

With a taller gearing, you get more power at higher speeds.