MXR fixes/mods

Scooter584

So just picked up a new MXR, haven't ridden it much but from what I have I really like it (haven't gotten a chance to gear up and hit the track).
So what are some of the things to look out for or fix/mod on the new bike...I ran across a forum about the chain slider breaking on the bottom side of the swingarm and I can see how that might happen. What are a few things anyone has done to fix or deter that and ais there aftermarket replacements yet?
Also not a fan of the brake pedal tip, can't get the cleat screws to back out for more grip and I haven't seen any aftermarket companies selling a brake pedal?
If not I think I will cut off the tip and attach a replacement tip for a hammerhead or another brand. Thoughts?

Mark911

Go with a LHRB setup. I've gotten so well accustomed to mine I can't ride a normal bike anymore as I never use the rear pedal and can't stop! On the other hand, I guess it's better to stick with the stock setup if you plan to "switch hit" between bikes.

Fog 25

Welcome be prepared to answer a lot of questions at the track.👌
As Philip said Fasst rear brake return spring a must.
I put rubber bumper in chain slider seems to be holding up. You can see in the chain slider post.
Get the suspension done ✅
⚡️Grip it and Rip it⚡️

Scooter584

Thank you all! Ya I have a spring return coming, adjusted the pedal a little more I am just used to shark teeth for a pedal haha. I'm sure someone will make one or I'll try Phillips trick I am into bicycle Les so I may have some pins lying around... problem is the stock ones are froze in there. I will check into the chain slider though, doesn't look too bad to do.
So nothing else?
How about the grease? Does Alta use some or put it together dry like Kawasaki haha

gprix1

Brakes, rear wheel and counter-sprocket are all KTM stuff which makes it easy to swap parts. However the front hub, axle and triple clamps are 7mm wider which is a pain if you want to swap wheels around. You can't just order another hub from somewhere like Rocky Mountain. However, someone on here has managed to get a hub directly from Warp 9.
The stock triple clamps always seemed to be making a creaking noise and front wheel would get knocked out of alignment from almost any tip-over.
I swapped out to KTM clamp, front fender, front hub and shortened the front axle so I can now swap around wheels with ease. Also, no more creaking sound from the clamps and the wheel stays straight on tip-overs. I don't know if it's a placebo affect but it also seems to have improved the steering.

Scooter584

Ok thanks ya I wondered about that but so far messing around it seems good I'd really have to get onsome tracks for a bit to see what it needs. What's the rear then if you changed counter shaft?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, the gearing, the sprockets and the chain...

Prepare to get an O-ring or X-ring chain. The stock chain works for only 3 hours, then starts stretching like crazy. You will also enjoy a much quieter bike. The stock chain has 116 links.

The stock sprockets are 12/53. If you are not a racer or a jumper, that is fine. You will then be riding in Maps 2 or 3 most of the time. But if you want to race competitively or clear bigger jumps, you should be in Map 4. Map 4 is way too jerky with the stock gearing, so you have to "up-shift into the next gear" by gearing the bike up. Many found a good gearing to be 14/53 or 12/45 for Map 4.

snydes

Staff member
I wouldn’t go making gearing and suspension changes until you ride it and see for yourself what you like and dislike. Once you get a feel for the bike then figure out if those changes are right for you.

Scooter584

Racing and jumping is what I like! But I got this bike to maybe get away from it a little bit...long story but an injury last year has kept me out a bit and I need to be smart so I can still walk ( I have hardware in my back and fused). I have a supercross track and a Moto track the wraps around the SX track. I like map 4....and three on the track athe little I rode I like em both. As far as gearing I use a gearing chart for the ratios I'm sure I'll be messing with it but stock gearing doesn't seem too bad, pleanty of power it seems...thanks for all the info this is really exciting and I'm pumped to try it all out.

snydes

Staff member
Racing and jumping is what I like! But I got this bike to maybe get away from it a little bit...long story but an injury last year has kept me out a bit and I need to be smart so I can still walk ( I have hardware in my back and fused). I have a supercross track and a Moto track the wraps around the SX track. I like map 4....and three on the track athe little I rode I like em both. As far as gearing I use a gearing chart for the ratios I'm sure I'll be messing with it but stock gearing doesn't seem too bad, pleanty of power it seems...thanks for all the info this is really exciting and I'm pumped to try it all out.

Awesome thing about this bike is you can blast around a track or take a relaxing casual trail ride. It does both very well.