MXR dead this morning... (and now alive!)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My #323 MXR won't start this morning. I topped off the battery before going to the track, everything looked good, but at the track I am turning the key and nothing happens.

What could it be, and where should I start??

EDIT: A comprehensive summary is here.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Just throwing this out there: the bikes have a battery in the key assembly (so I was told by a dealer). When the battery shits, the bike will not start.

I have not verified this, but was surprised when I was told this. The dealer had replaced a half dozen key assemblies.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Just throwing this out there: the bikes have a battery in the key assembly (so I was told by a dealer). When the battery shits, the bike will not start.

I have not verified this, but was surprised when I was told this. The dealer had replaced a half dozen key assemblies.

There is no battery in the key switch. The 9V battery lives in the ACM. That is the only tiny battery that lives in the bike.

Phillp check the key switch to see if there was loose contact

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
T

There is no battery in the key switch. The 9V battery lives in the ACM. That is the only tiny battery that lives in the bike.

Phillp check the key switch to see if there was loose contact

Thank you! It didn't sound right to me!

bluefxstc

What is the voltage path for the key switch enable? Does it get 9V from the 9V battery and then send it on to the vehicle controller? If so is the 9V at the key switch? Does the key switch supply a ground to start? If so is it there? Since you have two bikes and had the key switch out of both what are you seeing on the good bike and does both key switches work in the good bike? I would try and follow the bike start signal to see where it goes. My guess is you have a broken wire or a pin is loose in a connector. Following the start signal will hopefully lead you to the break.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The key switch from the dead bike works on both bikes.

I tried connecting a display from a good bike, but it didn't help.

What's next?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the key switch connector:

15522634793568176123674068391423.jpg

There is 9V between the left pin and the middle pin on both bikes.

If I short the right pin and the middle, then the good bike starts. But the bad one does not.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The wire colors left-to-right are Black, Purple, Yellow.

The black and the purple have 9V between them, so they must be okay. The yellow wire is a suspect.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Checked maybe the connection to the display is bad, but the good bike will make noises even with the display completely disconnected, as I accidentally found out.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
this sounds similar to my instance - dealer replaced key switch assembly, battery & ACM with 9v...

sucks to hear dude

Ultratoad

I remember reading here somewhere.... The 9v battery can be replaced without pulling the battery pack.... I would be talking to that guy !!!!

Mark911

Someone needs to make extension cables that connects the battery I/O connector and high voltage wire connector to the bus connectors. That way you could do testing with another pack or with a repaired pack without a bunch of dis/re-assembly.
Onelapper is our resident cable maker, maybe he's interested?