MXR charging issue

F451

I'm sure this issue is not related to your situation, but my fast charger fan was not working when I recieved it new in the box. I was afraid the charger was not charging, but it was when I tested it. Opened it up and discovered the power supply wires to the fan were severed, soldered them back together and all is fine with the fan now.

Good luck with your situation, I hope it turns out to be an easy fix. -Eddie

Drtjumper

MT = Multitool. The diagnostic firmware for our bikes.
Gotcha, my buddy has the Alta laptop at his shop. If I need to I'll ship this thing to someone who knows what they are doing and pay them to figure it out. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed or replaced. Knowing my luck though it wont be and I'll just end up parting it out.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Gotcha, my buddy has the Alta laptop at his shop. If I need to I'll ship this thing to someone who knows what they are doing and pay them to figure it out. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed or replaced. Knowing my luck though it wont be and I'll just end up parting it out.

Doubtful for being parted. Sounds like a fw/switchgear issue. Once on a laptop it can be seen a bit better. Also updating the bike won't hurt either.

bluefxstc

As for the kill a watt monitor, that will work fine for my 110 slow charger but my fast charger runs off 240 (I had a dedicated 240 outlet put in my garage for this). Its only charged once on 240 and not at all on 110.
The kill a watt will function at 240 Vac, or at least mine will, with adapters. I specifically say function because I don't think it is accurate, but it will say if something is drawing power. On my kill a watt at 240 Va, the voltage reads about 10% low so I think the corresponding power reading (watts) is low. Good enough to tell you if something is working , but not exact measurements.

Caryder

The kill a watt will function at 240 Vac, or at least mine will, with adapters. I specifically say function because I don't think it is accurate, but it will say if something is drawing power. On my kill a watt at 240 Va, the voltage reads about 10% low so I think the corresponding power reading (watts) is low. Good enough to tell you if something is working , but not exact measurements.

If you want to do high voltage, I recommend you use a current clamp device like this.
CrocSee AC 80-260V 100A CRS-022B LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Frequency Power Factor Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Split Core Current Transformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K3S4K9L/?tag=sce0f-20

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I have a P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor. It’s a simple plug in monitor and costs less than $20, several HW supplies sell it. It reports, voltage, current, power factor, etc... point being at least you would know if the standard charger is drawing ~11.4 amps when charging or not. I just checked mine. When plugged in, about 0.12 amps, turn key & run switch on, wait till display indicates charging, current goes up to ~13 amps then drops to a steady 11.4 a few seconds later.

Ah, you beat me to it. This ramp up and then drop in amps is what I was experiencing with my MX when connected to my new Honda EU2200 a couple of weekends ago. I was trying to explain this to @snydes. I wonder why it does that. Maybe too close to the max amps on a typical household 15amp circuit?

Drtjumper

It is a loose connection in the charge port on the bike. Started to take it apart to swap charge ports but figured I would "jiggle some wires scientifically" and see if it would charge. Sure enough it does. That being said, anyone have any leads on a new charge port?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
It is a loose connection in the charge port on the bike. Started to take it apart to swap charge ports but figured I would "jiggle some wires scientifically" and see if it would charge. Sure enough it does. That being said, anyone have any leads on a new charge port?

Charge port on bike = Deltawing assembly. The Chargeport harness is part of that DW assembly...sometimes the pins back out a bit on the connector to the DCCP. Some dirt may have gone into the connector on the DCCP side, I would try airing it out and trying to use it again.

Ill see whats in stock in the garage.

Drtjumper

Charge port on bike = Deltawing assembly. The Chargeport harness is part of that DW assembly...sometimes the pins back out a bit on the connector to the DCCP. Some dirt may have gone into the connector on the DCCP side, I would try airing it out and trying to use it again.

Ill see whats in stock in the garage.
Awesome, I didnt disconnect it fully just had it "hanging" but it's good to know what the issue seems to be. Thanks for check to see if you have a replacement.

Caryder

Ah, you beat me to it. This ramp up and then drop in amps is what I was experiencing with my MX when connected to my new Honda EU2200 a couple of weekends ago. I was trying to explain this to @snydes. I wonder why it does that. Maybe too close to the max amps on a typical household 15amp circuit?
My house line voltage drops from 119ish to 113ish (as measured by the monitor) and stays @ 114ish so... I was speculating the charger adjusts current based on initial conditions. I didn’t think it was related to supply line limits, but I’m not sure. I haven’t checked what it does when on my generator (3500 W).

Caryder

Glad you figured it out.