MX Display totally dead (Fixed!!!)

raysted

Went to go for a ride this morning, turned the key, waterpump ran and blinkie blue light came on in frame, but display showed absolutely nothing, totally dead.
So last time I rode was a few days ago and washed the bike real good afterwards.
My thoughts - maybe got water into the display?? But who knows.
Any thoughts? (Before I take it apart further, the two screws holding the display on the crashpad spin and wont unscrew, probably stripped in display, have to drill out)
Thanks guys

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Went to go for a ride this morning, turned the key, waterpump ran and blinkie blue light came on in frame, but display showed absolutely nothing, totally dead.
So last time I rode was a few days ago and washed the bike real good afterwards.
My thoughts - maybe got water into the display?? But who knows.
Any thoughts? (Before I take it apart further, the two screws holding the display on the crashpad spin and wont unscrew, probably stripped in display, have to drill out)
Thanks guys
Will the bike power up if you press the start button? Or is the drive system also unresponsive?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'd poke the display connector with a multimeter. You should see 12V on one wire and 9V on the other two, then the problem is likely with the display.

Then I'd find a working display to borrow to try it out.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Not that you need to be told this now, but people need to be extremely mindful of pressure washing the display. My display lost some of it's halo LED display twice, both times immediately after a good washing.

Reactions: Rix

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Check also the pins between the display harness connector and the main wiring harness. Its a brown connector (Molex) which may have a tendency to pop out.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Can a guy remove the display and put it in a bucket of rice? If water is the culprit, maybe this can help?

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Not that you need to be told this now, but people need to be extremely mindful of pressure washing the display. My display lost some of it's halo LED display twice, both times immediately after a good washing.

I just don't think pressure washing the bike is a good idea at all, even if it has an IP67 rating. The problem I see if there isn't much water pressure when the bikes are submerged in water. Conversely, pressure washing can exert way more water force than say non velocity water submersion at 4 feet deep.

Mikec265

I just don't think pressure washing the bike is a good idea at all, even if it has an IP67 rating. The problem I see if there isn't much water pressure when the bikes are submerged in water. Conversely, pressure washing can exert way more water force than say non velocity water submersion at 4 feet deep.
Yep. I basically treat my electrical parts like they're radiator fins that I don't want to bend.

I also noticed there wasn't any electrical grease on any of the connections behind the front number plate when I installed my "vault". I at least greased all those connections while I had easy access to them. Makes me feel like I should disconnect everything and grease it to prevent water shorts, corrosion, and catch any weak connections.

Judaslefourbe

For the record (and to my knowledge) EVERY SINGLE OEM ADVISES AGAINST PRESSURE WASHING MOTORCYCLES.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
My warranty issue started after a garden hose wash. I’d still recommend a leaf blower to remove most moisture from an E bike. Also avoid spraying too much water near upper battery area...

Hopefully it’s just moisture in a connector that is causing connectivity issues

mr7q

Reiterating Philip's advice above, the connector for the display to the main harness should be behind the front numberplate. I'd check that to ensure that it didn't inadvertently get disturbed, perhaps disconnecting/reconnecting and then jiggling it a bit watching the display to see if it comes back to life if you don't have access to a multimeter.

raysted

It Works!!!
So finally was able to work on this, drilled out both crash pad attachment screws as they were stripped, took apart the display and found on the board very minor corrosion and some burnt residue from a short by a LED.
Looks like the it has been getting some moisture in for awhile (as corrosion usually doesn't happen overnight)
I assume water was getting in at the interface of the two halves of the display.

So while I was grabbing my celebratory Beer (I found the problem), my wife starts to scrap away the burnt residue and corrosion, she goes plugs the display in, turns the bike on and says" Look honey I fixed it, now go make me dinner"

Pic is of post scrapping but you can see both remnants of the residue and corrosion.

Well, I'll still be ordering a new display board from Rashid10 in the AOF store, but in the meantime I can go ride!!!
Btw, I put a slight bead of gasket sealer around the whole display interface to prevent further water intrusion, also left side green LED is out, but heck who cares..

20190324_153342.jpg

20190325_101524.jpg

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I think this is solid advice
"I put a slight bead of gasket sealer around the whole display interface to prevent further water intrusion"

I will be performing this post haste

very glad you can ride dude! now make sure you buy flowers for that wife for spending time wrenching on your steed oh & dinner chop chop!